Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Please Look at My New WH C-120

C-Series14

Yea. Rust and a tight fit don't help. Soak it with PB Blaster. I have a spare hub with the keyway gouged so I am going to make one someday.

jpmcleod

I have a spare hub if you can't find one. Let me know and it's yours. I am mailing out some parts tomorrow and will send it to you. Just need your address.

mattd860

When I bought the tractor the engine was missing a little. I replaced the spark plug (gap .035) and breaker points (gap .020) but now its backfiring. i'm very busy moving into a new house that we just bought so i dont have the time to tinker with it right now so i figured i'd post about it now so i have something to think about before I continue troubleshooting.

Also, where are the timing marks on the fly wheel? I removed the plug from the sight hole and turned the driveshaft but could not see any marks on the toothed wheel. I would like to check/adjust the timing but it's tough without seeing the marks on the fly wheel.

rickv1957

Double check your point gap,and you can try .018 to see if that helps,Rick

rueger-99

:D :thumbs:

mattd860

Hmm.. on page 77 on the service manual pdf (http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf) or page 8.7 in the paper service manual - it says the plug gap for a battery ignition is .035 and magneto ignition is .025. I have the batter/ignition coil type ignition plus the plug I took of was also .035. But I'll set it to .025 and see how that works.

rueger-99

Hmm.. on page 77 on the service manual pdf (http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf) or page 8.7 in the paper service manual - it says the plug gap for a battery ignition is .035 and magneto ignition is .025. I have the batter/ignition coil type ignition plus the plug I took of was also .035. But I'll set it to .025 and see how that works.

Looks like you're correct.....I'll delete my previous post so no-one is confused.

mattd860

I had a few minutes to work on the tractor. I set the plug gap to .025 for

hahas but it had no affect so I changed it back to .035. I did try setting the point gap to .018 but again, no change. I finally found the timing marks on the flywheel so I'll check the timing with the gun maybe later tonight. As of right now I'm still stumped because it's backfiring badly at any speed above idle. I tried adjusting the carb fuel settings but I couldn't correct the backfiring.

Quick question - do you adjust the point gap

when you see a "T" (TDC) or "S" in the timing sight hole??

mattd860

Thanks!! I'll try that method. One thing the guide states is that timing results in backfiring through the carb. However my engine is backfiring only through the exhaust. At any rate, I'm going to follow the directions and see what happens.

mattd860

That guide is perfect. My timing is spot on now.....but..... still backfireing through exhaust :thumbs:

rickv1957

That guide is perfect. My timing is spot on now.....but..... still backfireing through exhaust :thumbs:

Did you replace condensor,and is it wired to neg side of coil,Rick

mattd860

Yes and yes

mattd860

There's one other thing that I did which may be why it's backfiring through the exhaust. I changed the fuel filter and then filled the tank with 93 octane gas AND 1/3rd of a can of fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techron). The fuel cleaner probably increased the octane as well.

Could this be the problem???

mattd860

Any thoughs on the the gas and injector/cylinder cleaner??? I hate being at work all day where all I can do is think about things rather than actually fix anything.

rickv1957

Sounds like you should clean carb and clean or replace lines as it more that likely has got debrie in it now that all that cleaner has been used,Rick

mattd860

I replaced the fuel lines and filter before i added the cleaner but I'll change them out again. Is it generally recommended to keep that stuff out of the engine or gas??

mattd860

Ok engine is now running great!!! I had a friend tweak with the carb a little bit by adjusting the fuel. the K301s feels and sounds great. There is still a backfire here and there when I decrease the throttle. My friend pointed out that the throttle shaft and butterfly were worn badly and is allowing a lot of air to bypass the butterfly causing a backfire when throttle is closing. I even got my lights working :thumbs:

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me on this forum!!!

mattd860

When I get the wheel hub off, I want to protect the hub and axle from rusting again. I found the image below from the Toro Master Parts Viewer from a 1987 418-8. The image shows some type of axle anti-rust compound called Texaco "L" Light Code 1976 which I was unable to find via basic google searches.

Does anyone know where to get this stuff or know of something else I can use to prevent rust from reoccurring? Would a light coat of spray paint do just fine?

80R10052.gif

rickv1957

A little anti-seize will work fine,available at auto parts store,Rick

mattd860

It turns out I need a PTO rod. The previous owner had to cut the bottom end shorter in order to use the custom bracket he made. However, I have a C-81 with a C-120 (K301s) motor so do I order the PTO bracket for the C-81 or C-120? Both have different Part Numbers so I'm not sure.

I installed the bottom PTO rod bracket from a c-120 so I'm guessing a c-120 rod.

[EDIT] Never mind - I know now I need the C-120 PTO rod (part # 102938). The rod I have now isn't modified at all, it's just for the C-81 which is shorter than the C-120 PTO rod.

mattd860

As I mentioned before - the throttle and choke linkages are very quirky. I want to buy new levers and cables but I'm not sure which to get because I have a C-81 with a 12hp K301s motor from a 1969 Charger 12.

So... do I get throttle and choke cables from the C-81 or Charger 12 (K301s motor)?????

tgranthamfd

I just got around to rechecking this post. On a side note, I had a similar problem with backfiring through the exhaust. My problem ended up being a loose wire on the regulator B+ wire in the 3 prong plug. I, too, thought I had some carb issues, but when I stumbled across the loose wire it fixed the backfiring issue. Food for thought.

MaineDad

Might as well put a new plug in too

mattd860

LOL - guys.... Everything in this thread has been corrected except the last post that I just made about the throttle and choke linkage. Engine runs smooth, tractor works great... just need info on buying new throttle linkage since I have a C-81 with K301 motor.

I didn't want to create a new post for one stupid question so I dug up this old one