Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Please Look at My New WH C-120

MaineDad

Notice the axles sticking out of the hubs, most are flush with the end of the axles.

Is this normal? :thumbs:

My guess is the keyway on the hubs is worn badly. Be careful driving that right now...

MaineDad

Looks like I bought myself a real project. My wife will be very happy to hear this lol.

The nice thing about these old Wheel Horse tractors is that most of the parts and attachments are interchangeable. We'll help you through this :thumbs:

SAM58

Hood is identical to my Raider 12 1972 model.

C-Series14

Looks like I bought myself a real project. My wife will be very happy to hear this lol.

Just minor things to get it back to stock....

mattd860

The tractor ID is 91 8K802 18632. There was a 4 digit number below that but the first number is worn away completely. It might begin with a 4 to read 4057 but I'm not sure about that first number.

I didn't see any ID on the engine other than the tag on the top that says Kohler 12hp but will look harder later.

TT

The tractor ID is 91 8K802

I'm betting that's 91-08K802, correct?

That tractor is actually a 1979 C-81 (they were all 8 speeds) and would have originally had a Kohler K181 8hp engine.

Here's one in the gallery:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11431

mattd860

The tractor ID is 91 8K802

I'm betting that's 91-08K802, correct?

That tractor is actually a 1979 C-81 (they were all 8 speeds) and would have originally had a Kohler K181 8hp engine.

Here's one in the gallery:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11431

YES! - I forgot the ZERO. So the serial # is 91-08K802-18632.

So I have a 1979 C-81 with 12hp motor?? That's false advertising at it's finest since the advertisement clearly says C-120 - http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/1804780803.html

I hope the motor is truly a 12hp and not just an 8hp with a 12hp sticker.

Other than the engine, what are the differences between C-81 and C-121??

I want to make this tractor as close to a C-121 as possible. But I think for now I'm just going to tune up the engine, get the C-121 engine mounts and PTO clutch brake and enjoy the machine as it is.

C-Series14

Yes, you have a tractor that was originally a C-81 but at some point, someone put a 12hp on it. Then they found some neat C-120 decals and stuck them on, in the wrong place. As far as false advertising, you are gonna have folks stick whatever stickers they want to to make the tractor whatever they want. There are many levels of collectors in all the hobbies out there. From serious every nut and bolt has to be original to weekend warrior it runs, it cuts, I'm happy. :thumbs:

It's not an 8hp, looks like a 12hp...older 12hp.

The difference between a C-81 and a C-121 is 4hp...sorry, had to do it! :D

To make it a C-121, get the engine cradle, get the CORRECT decals, and there you go...

mattd860

Alright sounds good - thanks!

I found an engine cradle from a c-81 but will that support a 12hp motor?

Also - when ordering parts for the motor do I just look for regular 12hp Kohler motor parts or do I need to be more specific. How can I identify when the motor was manufactured? Do they rivet ID plates to motors??

C-Series14

Would have to do some research on the cradle, I am at work right now unfortunately... :thumbs:

Looks like there is an ID plate down by the choke cable on the shroud...by the exhaust pipe exit.

rickv1957

I wouldnt even worry about a engine cradle,wont fit on your12hp engine anyway which is a K301s,just fix the other things and you will be fine! :thumbs: Rick

mattd860

Alright I'll take a look at this later when I get home from work.

I need some time to really go over the machine but I've been too busy with work, my new born baby, and a new house that I close on in two weeks.

I also need to find out why the throttle lever/cable isn't working properly. If I pull up the throttle lever 1/3rd of the way, it will open the throttle 100%. Just moving the lever a hair will drastically open the throttle so fine tuning the engine speed is impossible right now.

By the way - many thanks to all of you guys here on the forum for all the help. Hopefully one day I'll be contributing to the help.

mattd860

I wouldnt even worry about a engine cradle,wont fit on your12hp engine anyway which is a K301s,just fix the other things and you will be fine! :thumbs: Rick

Thanks Rick - just curious how you know my engine is a K301s???

I'm thinking my engine is the 12hp Kohler engine sold with the older C-120 tractors which is why one of the previous owners changed the decal.

rickv1957

A 301S is a 12 hp engine with the big oil pan,such as yours,look at your C101 as it has a K241AS engine which fits the cradle with the small oil pan,blocks are also different between the two models (S or AS engine) Prior to 78 the engines 10 hp to 16 hp were mounted directly to frame, :thumbs: Rick

mattd860

Any idea about the throttle problem I mentioned 2 posts above? Can it have something to do with the differences between the C-81 and C-120 engines?

Also any idea why the tractor abruptly stops when I press the clutch pedal when the tractor is moving? It almost feels like the brakes are being activated when I press in the clutch pedal. It only happens when going very slow though - when the tractor is moving at a moderate speed it will coast nicely to a stop when only the clutch pedal is pressed.

rickv1957

Throttle linkage and or govenor may just need adjustment,brake or clutch linkage could also need the same,just some adjusting,Rick

mattd860

I did some work to it last night. Changed the spark plug, oil (engine & transmission), removed the mower deck, fixed the throttle cable and investigated the hood issue. Please see below for more comments & questions...

How does this spark plug look? Look like the engine us running very rich?

P1030001-1.jpg

Below is two pictures of the metal bar that was preventing my hood from closing all the way without force. I removed it and it helped a little but the hood still won't settle all the way down without pushing it the last inch. This bar seems to serve no purpose so please enlighten me.

P1020996.jpg

P1020997.jpg

Lastly - I need a service manual for the K301s 12hp Kohler motor I have. I would also like a service manual for the 1979 C-81 tractor. Are these available via free download? If not what is a reputable website I can go to and purchase them? I understand they also make a parts manual for these tractors/motors?? Or do they include part numbers and breakdowns in the service manuals?

rickv1957

Yes the plug shows a rich fuel mixture,the little rod was used with original hood as a stop to keep it from opening to far,Rick

mattd860

Thanks again Rick. I'll have to adjust the carb slightly but I think my whole engine needs a tuneup. I'll leave the bar off for now until I get an original hood (if that ever happens).

I ended up finding the Kohler engine service manual on www.kohlerengines.com

Now I just need the C-81 manual.

rickv1957

I'll leave the bar off for now until I get an original hood (if that ever happens).

The hood mount is all you need as the hoods were the same,Rick

mattd860

Ok I have a leaky output shaft seal on the right side. Is there an easy way to do that or do I need to take the transmission apart to pull out the axles???

rickv1957

Seal can be replaced by removing old seal with a ice pick or similar tool to pry old seal out, then a piece of correct size pvc pipe to install new one,Rick

mattd860

I got the old seal off and the new seal on so that's fixed. I adjusted the right side hub to be flush with the outside of the axle However when I went to adjust left side hub, I could not pull it off the axles. No matter what I did the hub would not come off. I tried using a big hammer and a puller with a 1000ft/lb torque wrench. Any suggestions???

C-Series14

Don't hammer on the backside of the hub, you will break the "C" clip off inside and the axle will come out! Try the puller, or make a puller using another hub. Somewhere on here, someone made one...

mattd860

Thanks - I found the post of the homemade puller using an old hub. Now i just need to find one. What causes the hub to become stuck on the axle? Rust? The right side hub slides back and forth freely but it was also drenched in leaky gear oil from the bad axle seal.