Sign in to follow this  
dustycarter

Rear right Axle seal

dustycarter

Hello. I bought an axle seal for my 8 speed uni drive trans. It has water in it and leaks a slow drip. I am completely new. So how in the world do I replace the seal? Does it slide directly in the housing or does the whole thing have to come off the tractor? thanks for the help.

rickv1957

You will have to remove hub and take an ice pick or similar tool to pry out old seal,then install new seal on cleaned axle,should be able to push seal in housing with end of hub,trans can be flushed with diesel or mineral spirits,Rick

rmaynard

The hardest part of replacing seals is removing the hubs. After the hub is off, like Rick said, it is fairly easy to do. I use an icepick that I have bent the pointed end over into a very small hook. Work that in-between the axle and the seal, rotate the hook until you can grab something, and pull. Before installing the new seal, be sure that the axle is cleaned of all dirt and most important, burrs. Don't want to damage the new seal putting it in. Lube the axle and the seal with a little oil. Once the seal is at the opening, it needs to be seated. That can be done any number of ways. Some use the hub to push it in, I use a small piece of wood to tap it lightly until it reaches bottom.

Bob

dustycarter

Hello. Thanks you Rick and Bob for your help. I really do appreciate it. I did get around to that today. Got the tire off and then I can't get the actual wheel part off. The thing you bolt the lugs on from the wheel to the transmission on the axle. Can't get that off. I tryed beating on it some with a rubber mallet. Then a block of wood and an actual hammer. I didn't want to damage it so I stopped. Do I just use a regular pulley puller to get it off? Or am I doing something wrong? Next question is the hub is what you a refering to as this

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...-47R10066-00029

IT IS # 18 ON HERE

Then the seal I got was #14 on here. I got it off ebay. I spoke to a guy from my local lawnmower parts dealer and he said that they are all the same now. I have no clue why. He said they were all switched to this one. I don't know if thats true but I got it from ebay. Its this one http://cgi.ebay.com/100863-OIL-SEAL-Toro-L...DefaultDomain_0

Is it supposed to be hard like that also? I honestly believe I need to stick with wood and leave tractors alone. I know I am bugging the snot out of you both but you both are a great deal of help. Thanks again for all teh help from you both! Dusty :thumbs:

Duff

Dusty, you're not bugging anybody. That's what we're all here for - to help each other out!

Now to removing your hub - yes, buy or borrow a puller. DON'T beat on the hub/axle any more with a hammer. The hub is a casting and can break, but even more important, the axle is held inside the tranny by a "C"-clip, and it's pretty easy to dislodge. If that happens, you'll have to open up the tranny to get it back on. :D

Make sure you've removed both of the bolts that hold the hub onto the axle and apply PB Blaster or a good penetrating oil into the holes as well as around both ends of the hubs.

One tip - I had to "dimple" the end of my axles with a drill to get the puller to stay centered. A little heat on the hub while you are tightening the puller may help as well, but be very careful as the gas tank isn't all that far away!!!

Quick question - looking at the picture of your seal on eBay I can't tell if it's for a 1" or a 1-1/8" axle. You're 312-8 should have 1" axles. The guy from your local shop may have been right about them all being the same now within a size, but there are two different sizes. Just checking......

Duff :thumbs: