Sign in to follow this  
Doubletrouble

'68 sears trans. help

Doubletrouble

I have a 68 sears custom 10. The problem is the shifter seems to spin around in circles. It seems to shift into gear just fine but with the shifter spinning like this it tore the rubber seal under the shifter. Any ideas?? Thanks

TT

Assuming it has a Peerless transaxle like most Sears machines from that era, you should be able to remove the 3 bolts holding the shifter assembly in place and pull it out of the case for inspection. (probably a sheared drive pin or bad housing)

There should be a model number tag somewhere on the case. (look near the right axle tube) You can either take the number to a Tecumseh/Peerless dealer or look the parts up HERE so you can buy them online. (providing they're still available)

You might also want to give Greg Morgan ("pond195520032003" here at RS) a shout. He has a bunch of Sears tractors and might be able to hook you up with good used parts.

hodge

While someone is talking about Craftsman rearends, I have aquired one, which was attached to two nice ag tires. I don't need the rearend- any ideas what they tend to go for?

porkchop

I have a good rearend for a custom 10 and alot of other parts you can have. :thumbs: :D

Doubletrouble

Thanks for the help guys. Porkchop, what all do you have and what are you looking to get for it?