Sign in to follow this  
DMK855

Charger not charging!!

DMK855

The Charger that I picked up recently is not charging. It has been converted back to a breaker points setup if that makes a difference. I charged the battery and had 12.6 volts dc at the battery and at the center wire on the Reg./Rect. With the engine running I am only getting 15 volts ac out of the stator wires. Are there any other tests for the stator assy.??

Thanks,

Dwayne

Save Old Iron

Hey Dwayne,

on the 15 VAC measurement - you making that with the stator wires connected to the Rectifier / Reg or just straight off the stator wires disconnected from R/R?

If your making the VAC measurement with stator wires connected to the R/R - disconnect the R/R and measure it again - with the engine at running speed.

If the measurement jumps to about 30 VAC - the R/R is shorted internally. If the measurement is still low - out comes the stator for a visual check.

A very quick rule of thumb for the AC measurement is thet about 70% of it can be used for conversion to DC output. So 15 VAC is only going to get you 10 to 10.5 volts DC from the regulator. 30VAC would get you about 21 DC that the R/R can cut down to 14 - 15 DC.

:thumbs: :D

DMK855

Chuck,

The AC voltage was measured with the stator leads disconnected from the R/R. I also checked to make sure that niether wire was shorted to ground. And last but not least, the resistance across the leads is 2.6 ohms. The manual states that it should only be .1 - .2 ohms.

I will try to pull the stator tonight or tomorrow and take a looksee!! As for a replacement, can it be replaced with the standard battery ignition stator, or will I have to go with the breakerless ign. stator??

Thanks,

Dwayne

pfrederi

You should be able to use a regular battery ignition stator. The flywheel magnet patterns were the same. What you need to be sure of is the output amperage... I believe the Charger 12s with solid state ignition were only 10 amp.

DMK855

I will check on the amp. output. "IF" it is 10 amp, will I be ok running the 15 amp, or would I have to upgrade the R/R as well? Thanks!

pfrederi

I know you can use a 15 amp regulator with a 10 amp stator....However intuition (but not real knowledge) tells me that if you should try the other way (15 amp stator, 10 amp regulator) you might cook the regulator

DMK855

Thanks pfrederi!! I am pretty sure I will just pick up both!! Would rather just do it right the first time!!

DMK855

Finally digging up an old thread.....  I have finally decided to address this issue 3.5 years later.  This Charger has long since been converted back to a breaker point system from the original breaker-less setup.  The stator that I need is NLA (Kohler 237877S).  and the more common stator (237878S) will not fit because of the diameter.  Appears I will have to change stator and flywheel to remedy this one!! And the search begins!! To be continued......