Sign in to follow this  
TonyCooper

312-8 Transmission leaks

TonyCooper

Hello to all Wheel Horse fans.

Recently my father in law gave me his 1988 312-8 wheel horse. I brought it down from Upstate NY to central NC and started to review the tractor. I found the deck spindles noisy and replaced them, repaired a few other small problems, and purchased belts & tires all the way around. I figured I'd have a stable mower for the next 10 years or so.

After mowing my 1.5 acre yard in record time (used to push mow it) and being thoroughly delighted I awoke one morning to find gear lube under the tractor! My father in law's property is relatively flat. My property has a 4%-6% grade in places. I think maybe the axles may have shifted a little when laterally cutting the hill side. I get a squeak from the rear when turning left. No squeak going straight or turning right.

I have not yet begun to explore the transmission and do not understand the extent of what I am dealing with... so I need your collective help & wisdom.

Now to the questions...

1) Are the external seals still available ?

2) Are they readily available from places like NAPA or Advance Auto? If so part numbers would be very handy.

3) How many external seals are there?

4) Is the squeak mentioned above significant?

5) Is the seal replacement something relatively easy to accomplish?

6) While I am replacing the seals are there any other things I should be looking to replace ? I noticed that the shifter seal is dry rotted as well.

I have already sunk a significant $$ amount into this project and want a good quality reliable tractor when I am finished. It is obviously very well engineered.

One more question, Does anyone have a source for the muffler? The one on the tractor is cracked and something inside is rattling around.

This is a great deal to vcover on my first post but I sincerely like the tractor and want to keep it in the family for another 15 years or so.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments, tips, & pointers,

Tony in Youngsville, NC

rickv1957

:thumbs: Parts can be found at dealer or ebayor auto parts store,squeak could be just a deck wheel,Rick

oldandred

Tony all seals you can get from different places the noise have you checked the tranny oil yet it may be over filled or have water in it.

post some pictures so we all can see

TonyCooper

Tony all seals you can get from different places the noise have you checked the tranny oil yet it may be over filled or have water in it.

I'll post some pics later then week. The tranny wasn't leaking early on but I did power wash the entire tractor and the shift boot is dry rotted. Can water enter the tranny through the shifter?

Re the squeak, I have replaced the deck wheels with the original factory ones. Squeak stayed. I did not replace the rollers on the front of the deck but they spin freely and seemed quiet. The squeak seemed to come from under the seat (it may be nothing to worry about)

I figured I'd simply replace all external seals such as axles, and tranny shift boot. I am not sure if there are any more then that. That was one of my original questions - just how many external seals are there on the 8 speed tranny.

I'll check the tranny for water later this week as well.

Tony

dgjks6

There are 4 seals. One on each axle, one on the input shaft, and one on the brake shaft. There is also a gasket between the halves of the transmission. You need to try to find out exactly where it is leaking from.

Total cost for all the parts should be less than $35.

In order to change the seals you have to get the hubs, brake pulley, and drive shaft pulley.

I just finished a total transmission rehab - so I could try to help step by step if you need.

TonyCooper

B I N GO !!

Had a chance to quickly look at the tranny today.. Checked oil and found water in it.

I have not looked into the change process yet. Hopefully removing a drain plug on bottom of the casing is all there is to it.

I'll let it drain and them put a little kerosene in it and lift the wheels and run the tractor for a few minutes - then drain it again. The wait a day or two with drain plug out and refill with a good quality 90 weight gear oil.

I have order a couple of the shift boots as the original is dry rotted and most likely allowed water in when I power washed the tractor last week.

Are there any other seals under the shift boot?

Thanks again

Tony

dgjks6

the drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission that needs removed with an allen wrench:

DSCF4987.jpg

Its not the thing that looks like a drain plug on the side. That won't get all the fluid out.

And no, there is no seal under the boot.

TonyCooper

Thanks to all for the guidance.

I have successfully replaced the shift boot and right side axle seal, then drained and flushed the contaminated transmission oil... finally replacing with new the transmission lube. All is quiet. The tractor runs great.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tony

4thelulz
nic-cage-birdhair.jpg