Sign in to follow this  
jerrb

Clutch pedal is locked

jerrb

l was cutting grass today with the 314-8 noticed the clutch was sticking even in first gear. It was difficult to let the clutch out then it seemed to smooth out for a while Now the clutch is locked up The transmission is not locked though

TT

You didn't specify, but I'm guessing your 314 is a "newer" model.

If that's the case, the problem is more than likely the "gas spring" that dampens belt engagement. It is located under the drive belt guard on the right side of the tractor and is attached to the idler pulley arm.

104-5095.jpg

If the spring (#5 above) is intact, remove the dampener (#4 above) and throw it away.

Your "clutch" should function correctly again, but you might pop a few wheelies. :thumbs:

jerrb

Tractor is a 1985

TT

I guess that eliminates the damper. :thumbs:

Did you look anything over on the tractor? Maybe you can start by removing the belt guard? :D

rueger-99

You didn't specify, but I'm guessing your 314 is a "newer" model.

If that's the case, the problem is more than likely the "gas spring" that dampens belt engagement. It is located under the drive belt guard on the right side of the tractor and is attached to the idler pulley arm.

104-5095.jpg

If the spring (#5 above) is intact, remove the dampener (#4 above) and throw it away.

Your "clutch" should function correctly again, but you might pop a few wheelies. :D

Will that gas damper bolt on to my 95' 314-8? I'm popping wheelies all over the yard. It's the only thing I don't like about my tractor. :thumbs:

TT

Will that gas damper bolt on to my 95' 314-8?

Unless someone else removed it, your 314 should already have the damper.

Perhaps it's just worn out. :D

They're a little over $50 from Toro - which is why most of them don't get replaced. :thumbs:

jerrb

I have removed the left rear wheel I'll try belt guard Monday Thanks

jerrb

I removed the belt guard today noticed the belt is very tight What should I look for now Transmission still shifts in all gears Removed the other back wheel

gwgdog66

Will your clutch pedal move at all? If it is moving and the clutch pulley isn't, it could be a sheared roll pin that goes in the yoke (Spring hooks to on left side) that hooks to the clutch rod .

jerrb

The clutch pedal will not move at all I went to the local Toro dealer he is stumped also Thanks

TT

Are you capable of unhooking the clutch rod at the pedal? :thumbs:

If the pedal won't move but the rod will, (once it's unhooked) that means the pedal is seized to the round bar where it pivots.

If it still doesn't move, try pushing down and forward on the idler (tensioner) pulley on the drive belt.

There's really not that many moving parts, so you should be able to find the problem easily.

SAM58

I had the same problem on my 1998 314-8, my clutch pedel would not return.

So I added a standard clutch spring and left the old gas charged damper on.

worked fine. :thumbs:

bk-scouter

Will that gas damper bolt on to my 95' 314-8? I'm popping wheelies all over the yard. It's the only thing I don't like about my tractor. :D

My '99 314-8 has this 'gas' return spring, and it pops the wheels off the ground if I'm not careful, ESPECIALLY with a tiller on the back. I had to change my pants one day while I was tilling my mother's flower garden after doing a wheel stand for a few feet :thumbs:

-BK

Duff

I'm with TT on this one - sounds like the pedal has seized to the round bar. You said it had started sticking a while back then just locked up?

Like TT said, if you can, disconnect the clutch rod at the pedal. If the pedal is still locked up, that pretty much diagnoses it. Be careful not to start beating too hard on the pedal, though. It's a casting and will break. I'd suggest taking off the foot rest, then going to work on the pedal with some Blaster and a little heat alternately.

Although it would be unusual, if taking off the clutch rod gets the pedal moving but everything else is still seized, then my next guess would be the clutch rod that passes through the frame to the idler pulley has locked up. Take off the idler pulley then go to work on that assembly.

Let us know what you find.....

Duff :thumbs:

Duff

Tractor is a 1985

I think the '85's didn't have the grease fittings in the pedals yet, but they may have been drilled for them. If so, after you get the pedal freed up I'd take it (and the brake pedal) off the tractor and either thread or get someone to thread the holes for you with a 1/4-28 tap (experts, check this, please?), and install grease fittings. Even if they aren't predrilled, it would be worth the effort to put in grease fittings!

Duff :thumbs:

rueger-99

Will that gas damper bolt on to my 95' 314-8? I'm popping wheelies all over the yard. It's the only thing I don't like about my tractor. :D

My '99 314-8 has this 'gas' return spring, and it pops the wheels off the ground if I'm not careful, ESPECIALLY with a tiller on the back. I had to change my pants one day while I was tilling my mother's flower garden after doing a wheel stand for a few feet :D

-BK

I checked mine the other day and I do have a damper....never stuck my head up there to look before. I can't imagine how bad it would be without it. :thumbs:

SAM58

I fixed mine with a spring, but RCPW.COM

Has the shock dampers for $30.53 plus shipping. :thumbs:

There part number 241200, make sure it will work with your Horse.

they list Toro # 1034079, 1092339, 103-4079, 109-2339.

Hope this helps. :D

jerrb

I have disconnected the clutch pedal it is fine The clutch control arm is what is froze

jerrb

OOPS thats clutch rod arm :thumbs: :D

jerrb

The idler pulley is pushed down into lower pulley is this normal Should I loosen the idler pulley

TT

You need to try to pull the idler pulley (and the arm it attaches to) back up around so the arm is pointing upward.

Here is a LINK to the IPL. Maybe once you look at all of the parts that make up the belt tensioner assembly ("clutch"), you can start looking for the cause of your problem.

Focus on the area of the roll pin (#17 on the IPL) where it passes through #16 & #18.

mdntspec

found a clutch spring for my 314....

Home Depot #170 439 for $3.97.... works perfect!!!

FYI - specs are 5/8" x 8 1/2" x .080"

Docwheelhorse

HI--check the bell crank that the clutch spring hooks into. I have seen where the roll pin either shears or falls half way out and it screws up the clutch operation. Its a PITA but you have to get the old pin put and when you put the new one in put a pice of mechanics wire through the center and around the bell crank to secure it. One sure fire way of knowing the pin is screwed up is if the clutch pedal sits either way too forward or back when the clutch is fully released.

Tony