Sign in to follow this  
rueger-99

Rear Wheel Hub spacing

rueger-99

I'm in the process of restoring my 76' c120 and I'm not sure where to tighten my rear hubs down. The hubs were almost against the trans housing when I pulled it apart ( maybe even rubbing on one side). I reinstalled them so the axle is flush with the outside of the hubs, so that leaves about a 1"+ gap. I've looked at different pics posted on the site and see some spaced and some tight. Does it matter? I'd have to look, but thinking about it now, if I move the hub up tight, the set screw might just catch the end of the key....I'll have to look at it tomorrow.

IMG_2605.jpg

Kelly

As a general rule even with the end of the axle shaft will work, but yes you want the set screw/bolt to be as centered as you can get it on the hub key, don't worry about the back spacing, just don't have it rubbing, many tractors have diff. length axles, so the spacing will be different.

rueger-99

As a general rule even with the end of the axle shaft will work, but yes you want the set screw/bolt to be as centered as you can get it on the hub key, don't worry about the back spacing, just don't have it rubbing, many tractors have diff. length axles, so the spacing will be different.

That's what I figured....just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

gwgdog66

Like kelly said it depends on the axle and key.

We marked the center point of the Axle key with a paint marker, and eyeball centered that mark on the key through the axle jame bolt hole on the hub. This was on my brother's Black hood C and the outside of the axle sticks out about a 16th of an inch.