Sign in to follow this  
kloe0699

Mule drive sizes

kloe0699

I tried putting the deck and mule drive from my 314-8 on my 73 Raider 10. I am tilling with the 314 for the summer and the little Raider didn't come with a deck. Having a deck in the shed next to a tractor without one was killing me. :D The front tire rubs the mule drive on left turns though... The pulley gaurd on the 314-8 measures 3 3/16". The pulley gaurd on my 69 Raider 12 measures 3". The front tires on my 73 are an inch wider than the 69 also. 6.5-5.5. I honestly thought all mule drives were the same :thumbs: Does the 73 take the same size mule drive as my 69? And is 6.50 the correct tire width for the 73? Thanks, Kevin

• Like 1

TT

Perhaps you've already checked into this, but........

Are the front wheels the correct ones for the tractor and - if they are - are they installed with the long side of the hub on the inside?

kloe0699

Thanks for the quick response Terry.. I don't know if they are the right size tires? Kinda new to the horses. The rim looks to be the same depth on both sides. The valves stems are on the inside of the rims like the other 2 tractors I have? :thumbs: Kevin

TT

The front tires on the '73 would be 16-6.50X8 on the "narrow" rims.

Unless there's a problem with the steering stop or spindle arm, I can't see why it would be hitting the guard on the idler pulleys.

Maybe the spacers between the belt tensioner pulleys and guard aren't the right length.:thumbs:

The '69 would have originally used the side mounted deck belt tensioner and evidently has the accessory front hitch kit if you're using a front-mounted tensioner.

kloe0699

That's what they are 16-6.50-8. The deck numbers on my 69 are 78350 and ser-4901197, pulls up as a 1994 deck. The mule drive could be any year between??? The 314 drive is wider and the tires on the 73 are also.. I plan to put the 69 drive on it in the am to see if it works better? :thumbs: Kevin

MikesRJ

Time to take and post a few pictures.

kloe0699

The drive from the 85 314-8

whpics001.jpg

The drive from the 69 Raider 12

whpics002.jpg

I don't think the 3/16's difference is the problem.. I just didn't know if there was a narrower drive for the smaller tractor??? Thanks, Kevin

MikesRJ

A pic of it mounted to the tractor would be more helpful, especially if you can point out where you are getting contact, and one from far enough away to see both front wheels and the mule drive installed.

stevebo

Maybe you have a 520 mule drive with the offset idler pulley? Not sure if that would cause the problem. Post a pic of it like Mike suggested.

kloe0699

whpics004.jpg

whpics003.jpg

After I took the pics I pulled it back off and it looks like the tires turn farther to the left? :thumbs: Kevin

rickv1957

Not the first time for the pto guard to rub tire when turning sharp to the left,is your fan gear centered on steering shaft gear when wheels are straight,Rick

TT

Hard to tell for sure due to the angle of the picture, but it looks like either the right front wheel is on backwards or it's for another brand of tractor.

Try switching wheels side-to-side. :thumbs:

The geometry of the steering design should cause the inner wheel to turn sharper than the outer wheel - but that works in either direction. It doesn't matter if the lower steering shaft (with "fan gear") is even installed in the frame.... the arms on the spindles contacting the stops on the front axle beam is what controls how far the spindles/front wheels turn.

WH nut

I mounted a mule drive on my Raider 12 and didnt have any problems at all. but then again I have the narrow tires

MikesRJ

Look at the gap between the top of the vertical axle spindle and the tire on the left (as looking at the picture) wheel compared to the right. Either it is a different rim as TT suggests, or its mounted inside-out.

kloe0699

Ok guys.. You nailed it :thumbs: I flipped the right front and now both front tires are equal. Hello knucklehead :D I don't post much because I can usually dig through the archives and find my fix. :D I have been busy gutting 2 bathrooms that have to be done by this weekend and my tractor time has been cut short! A big-huge thanks to all, Kevin

Chat6155

I'd much rather have the mule problem than the duel bathroom tasks.