Sign in to follow this  
Daddy Don

Charging system

Daddy Don

I have a C111 that I put a k-321 14hp Kohler on it. I have checked the Stator and it is working. I replaced the rectifier and it still will not show a charge to the battery and the lights do not work. Any advice. It starts and runs fine. All the safety switches work ok.

Thanks

Don

TT

What ignition switch are you using?

Is the amp meter actually functioning?

I'm pretty sure the lighting power is (was) provided by a separate section of the original Briggs stator. If it was, you will need to tap into a 12VDC source with the power wire for the headlight switch now (inline fuse optional, but highly recommended) since the original feed wire has been disconnected from the source. The "A" terminal on the ignition switch is the ideal place to feed the headlight switch.

You'll also want to check for proper grounding at the headlight sockets. This might require a wire to be connected between the headlight bucket and the engine or frame.

Daddy Don

I changed the switch to a kohler. Took the briggs switch out.

Daddy Don

The amp meter is not showing anything

TT

Is the wire from the B+ terminal on the rectifier/regulator connected to the "R" terminal on the ignition switch?

The ammeter should be hooked in series between the "B" terminal on the ignition switch and the large "battery side" post on the starter relay. (solenoid)

Did you check for an increase in battery voltage (at the battery, with a meter) after the engine is running vs. when it is not?

Daddy Don

Will do this tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

Daddy Don

Found the wire coming off the ref. bad. The light switch was also bad. I am getting a 12.5 reading out of the B+ side now. The amp meter is still not showing a charge but it also could be bad. It will show a discharge when I turn the lights on without the engine running. Thanks for the help TT. I will try and find another amp meter and see what it does.