Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

The B-100 Project

rmaynard

As many of you know, when I first started the thread "The B-100 Project Begins" back in March, I posted a picture of my old B-100, and said that I was going to restore it.

Well, as things went along, I decided not to restore it, but to build a complete, new B-100 from scratch. This I did, and I took it to the WHCC show. I had a great time showing off the "new" B-100, but what is troubling is that I had several people stop by to look at it and they said they didn't believe it was built from scratch. :thumbs: They still insisted that it was my old B-100 restored. I told them that when I had the time, I would park them side-by-side and take a picture.

Well here is the proof. I pulled the old B-100 out of the shed today and put her along side the "new" B-100.

So, for all the skeptics out there, here you go.

7afe0eec.jpg

Guess I still have to do something about the old B-100 now.

Bob

rustynut

looks good

MikesRJ

... and how long will it be before right looks like left? :thumbs:

rmaynard

Probably a while. Want to do a round hood first.

Bob

Save Old Iron

said they didn't believe it was built from scratch. :thumbs:

There must be something more to it Bob.

Isn't building from scratch what happens when anyone takes the tractor down to pieces and does a frame up restoration ?? Happens all the time.

And if you need to acquire or trade out another piece, be it a fender pan or engine from another tractor, that happens everyday too.

As is becoming too frequent in my old age, I fail to understand what we are debating here.

rmaynard

said they didn't believe it was built from scratch. :thumbs:

There must be something more to it Bob.

Isn't building from scratch what happens when anyone takes the tractor down to pieces and does a frame up restoration ?? Happens all the time.

And if you need to acquire or trade out another piece, be it a fender pan or engine from another tractor, that happens everyday too.

As is becoming too frequent in my old age, I fail to understand what we are debating here.

This B-100 was not a tractor that started out as a rusted out B-100 needing to be restored. It started out as a pile of parts from discarded tractors. As I have stated before, I took a frame from a C-160 Automatic and started with that as my base. I then began acquiring and adding parts to the frame from other tractors. It could have ended up being a B-80, B-100, C-120, or a C-160, solely dependent upon which engine I ended up using. Since I acquired a nice K241S from a parted B-100, the tractor became a B-100.

So in my opinion, it was not a frame-off restoration, but a frame-up compilation.

Bob

JimD
said they didn't believe it was built from scratch.

DMK855

Bob, it was very nice talking to you about your build at the show!! You did an awesome job building the tractor!!

Dwayne

Save Old Iron

So in my opinion, it was not a frame-off restoration, but a frame-up compilation.

Ok. So I take my old Dodge Caravan apart, put on a new dent free Town and Country front fender and a totally interchangeable Durango tailight, and gas cap from a Grand Caravan, paint the car and drive it to work. Hopefully too many folks would not be amazed by that process.

We HAVE to stop being folks who are so easily amazed.

Look the word compilation up in Websters - it's one of those "it's been done before" things.

I was actually amazed when I looked up the definition in Wikipedia, I saw ...

noun: something built by Horsefeathers during the hours between midnight and 3A.M. :thumbs:

Heres a great idea for a 2011 follow up project. Take an Onan twin engine - stick it in an RJ

and call it an "OJ"

I'm sure it'll be a killer at the next show !!

horsefeathers

Bob, Your B100 "compilation" seams to be "pileing up complaints"!

Now I'am wondering if I realy saw the B100 at the WHCC show!

Or was that just a hologram?

Ya' know with technoligy in this modern age, internet, I-phones,'n skype services!

Anything can happen! Who's to say reality is real?

I still hit the books! And I did look up "compilation"!

In my Funk & Wagnalls (copyright 1989!)

And right there! Just like SOI said was "in print" An E-mail update!

Revised... "noun: Something built by Horsefeathers during the hours between midnight and 3 A.M.

modern day info tech! Whoddathunkit?

So what's next Bob another Bogus B100 for next year? :thumbs:

Seein' how yer killin' us here the OJ tractor will do!

:D HORSEFEATHERS!

PS Thanks for the heads up on this one SOI !

Save Old Iron

So what's next Bob another Bogus B100 for next year? :thumbs:

I'm sure we can get the Decal Guy to make up a special set of Decals for that one :D

rmaynard

Ok. So I take my old Dodge Caravan apart, put on a new dent free Town and Country front fender and a totally interchangeable Durango tailight, and gas cap from a Grand Caravan, paint the car and drive it to work. Hopefully too many folks would not be amazed by that process.

First of all, I didn't do this project to amaze anyone but me. Secondly, this thread was started to answer the questions of a couple of skeptics at the show. Since they insisted that it was my old B-100, I needed to post the picture of both.

I'm sure that I am not the first to do such a project, and no, it's not something unique and amazing like Bud's (horsefeathers) 603 Gasser. But as my first project, I thought is was a noble effort to show what could be done with scrap and junk.

I'm not quite sure how to take you Chuck. On one hand I think that you are too smart not to see the point I'm making, and on the other hand knowing your sense of humor, I've got to think your kidding.

You see, in your analogy you are starting with a complete Caravan and adding different parts. In mine, I started with nothing but a universal frame and built from there, not knowing what it would be until I added an engine, which other than decals, is basically the only difference between the models.

You can call it a restoration if you want. If you like what I did, great. If you don't, I don't care. I'm proud of what I did and how it turned out.

I'm leaving it at that.

Bob

JimD

Bob, all the comments/criticisms aside, I like what you did, and I find it amazing that you took it on and completed it in such a short period of time, and out of spare parts bought, found, already in your parts pile, or however you acquired them. Still a first rate effort in my opinion, and hats off on a job well done. I saw this tractor in person at the show, and was glad I did. The pictures do not do it justice. :thumbs:

fireman

Bob,

I think you did a great job. Dis-regard all the negative comments. Some people just have nothing better to do with their time. Keep up the good work and I hope to see both of your B100s at next years show :thumbs:

Jeff

rickv1957

Bob,your compilation tractor looks very nice,great job!, :thumbs: Rick

stoneman

"Grumpy old man"

MikesRJ

Chuck, have you restored or refreshed a single Wheel Horse Tractor? If so, could you post a picture? :D I'd like to see a picture of your Caravan too! :thumbs:

JimD

Is this an S.O.I restoration? It sure looks good in the parade.....

nesquicksquirrel.jpg :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Maybe SOI is hung up on a few words...how about "resurrection B-100". :D You brought one back from the grave. :D

I don't think I would touch the other B-100. I am starting to like that finish and they are only original once. :thumbs::thanks:

You know I am kind of partial to those B-100's now. :wh:

rustynut

what bought them good ol b-80's

Curmudgeon

You can call it a restoration if you want. If you like what I did, great. If you don't, I don't care. I'm proud of what I did and how it turned out.

I'm leaving it at that.

Bob

YEAH! Exactly. I've assembled tractors from the parts pile, winding up with working tractors that are not any model, rather, just Wheel Horse. Might have the right gas tank, but the wrong hitches, right hood, but the wrong foot rests, might even have a few custom built pieces of what was missing in the pile.

Doesn't make them any less Wheel Horse, just not any particular model.

If I like it when I'm done, great, if not, I'll change this or that until I do. Whether or not anyone else may like it is no skin off my butt.

Buzz

Whether or not anyone else may like it is no skin off my butt.

Please Dale, no more skin. :D We saw enough of it when you were riding nekked in Duke's climate controlled snow cab........ :D :thumbs:

KC9KAS

I knew what he was saying.... :thumbs:

He said he was going to build a ground up tractor but others thought he actually rebuilt the tractor he had (B-100).

Pictures indicate he now has 2 tractors. I think they both look good! :D