Sign in to follow this  
WHwest8597

Brush Hog

WHwest8597

Does anyone know of a after market brush for a Wheel Horse.

pfrederi

S.O.I had a good link for you. You are pretty much limited to a finish mower not a true bush hog. There is a 3pt finish mower attachment for the D series. But you will not want to use it on other than grass.

If you want to clear brush, saplings etc you are going to need a bigger tractor.

WHwest8597

I'm looking to cut high grass in a wooded area. No stumps or saplings present. The grass is really not that thick. My last resort would be to set my deck as high as it goes and cut half a deck at a time. I do have a walk behind Gravely L and could pick up a brush hog/rotory mower for it, but I tought I see if there was anything for a Wheel Horse.

linen beige

Have you considered a sickle bar mower?

jusjeepn

Is this what you want?

0612101921.jpg

0612101921a.jpg

Sorry..... It's not for sale... I made it from an old Bachtold brush mower. I got the idea from an actual W/H attachment made in the mid 60's by Bachtold for W/H. Not many made or sold. I know of one.... Mine just clips in the front attach-a-matic and hooks to the PTO.

pfrederi

I mow between planted pine trees...nice straight rows with the D200s 3 point finish mower. I Also have a 6' finish mower I use behind a Case VAC or Case DC farm tractors. Mowing in areas with obstructions (trees rock out crops etc) with a rear mounted mower is not the easiest thing in the world. I have banged a few trees and fence posts over the years. (Remember a rear mount mower swings out on turns...getting close to any obstruction is not easy and by the end of the day you have a stiff neck from looking back over your shoulder.

For more obstructed areas I bought a belly mount mower for my Case VAC. It is a whole lot easier to maneuver and lets you trim up closer (on one side) without having to keep twisting around to watch your mower.

If your wooded area has a lot of obstructions I do not think that any of the pull behind self powered units would be that easy to use. Also a sickle bar in a wooded area would be a real pain....(unless you got one of the old front mount styles...) I use a 7ft sickle bar on the DC but only in open fields.

For an area with obstruction a regular power deck would probably be the easiest to use

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Self powered field and brush mowers. http://www.drpower.com/Field-Brush-Mower.aspx

I bought one of these from an estate sale where the previous owner used it only a couple times (and never used the lawn mower attachment). While I wouldn't pay the retail price for it it's definitely a beast that can cut through most anything up to a couple inches thick. Even though it is self propelled it will give you a workout that's for sure.

jla1257

Self powered field and brush mowers. http://www.drpower.com/Field-Brush-Mower.aspx

I bought one of these from an estate sale where the previous owner used it only a couple times (and never used the lawn mower attachment). While I wouldn't pay the retail price for it it's definitely a beast that can cut through most anything up to a couple inches thick. Even though it is self propelled it will give you a workout that's for sure.

They do offer tow behind versions as well.

Curmudgeon

Here are some pictures of the actual Bachtold mower designed for Wheel Horse. I know where there are two of them, I don't believe either to be for sale.

scanfromassembly.jpg

scanboy.jpg

dscf1448s.jpg

Yes, I inadvertantly put the guard on the wrong side, but I never intend to use it, and will some day correct that.

jusjeepn

Dale's is the one I modeled mine after! :D:thumbs: :D

pfrederi

Here are some pictures of the actual Bachtold mower designed for Wheel Horse. I know where there are two of them, I don't believe either to be for sale.

scanfromassembly.jpg

scanboy.jpg

dscf1448s.jpg

Yes, I inadvertantly put the guard on the wrong side, but I never intend to use it, and will some day correct that.

I think OSHA and CPSC would have a cow if they ever saw that device :thumbs:

dcrage

WHwest8597

I have cut a heavy fescue/blue grass/clover/weed/nutsedge/crab grass yard (my Dad's -- He is 93 now -- He couldn't or wouldn't cut it -- His solution was turning the cows in to graze it -- I live a couple hundred miles away from him) for 12 years now with my 310-8 with a 37" side discharge -- When I say heavy we are talking 3 to 4 ft tall some places -- And lots of trees/bushes/etc to mow around -- And pretty rough in some places thanks to the cattle when the yard was real wet -- I put the deck up as high as it will go with the console lift adjustor, put it in 1st or 2nd gear in low range, and cover the same area a couple of times -- It works

So for my experience I would think your tractor with its deck isn't a bad option

wingrider

If you are interested in a Bachtold front fence row mower I just happen to know a guy that has one that for the right price maybe willing to sell or trade for something else, let me know wingrider

Spot

Bought a 1973 wheelhorse raider 10 it came with a front mount bush cutter but looks nothing like the other pictures posted here. the drive pulley appears to be in line with pto pulley. uses 1:1 gearbox to drive vertical shaft for the blade. Came with plate that mounts to front of tractor and there is a steel cable that I would assume attaches somewhere to control cut height. I am a newbie, this is my first experience with wheel horse tractors and their accessories. I am having a hard enough time going through the parts boxes in order to figure out how to mount the mowing deck belt drive guide pulley's. not a tatch a matic system. It is possible that this cutter was modified for use on this tractor and is from differant manufacturer. Who knows??? Will have to import some snow later to see if snow plow works. Live in south florida!!

Duff

Bought a 1973 wheelhorse raider 10 it came with a front mount bush cutter but looks nothing like the other pictures posted here. the drive pulley appears to be in line with pto pulley. uses 1:1 gearbox to drive vertical shaft for the blade. Came with plate that mounts to front of tractor and there is a steel cable that I would assume attaches somewhere to control cut height. I am a newbie, this is my first experience with wheel horse tractors and their accessories. I am having a hard enough time going through the parts boxes in order to figure out how to mount the mowing deck belt drive guide pulley's. not a tatch a matic system. It is possible that this cutter was modified for use on this tractor and is from differant manufacturer. Who knows??? Will have to import some snow later to see if snow plow works. Live in south florida!!

Hi, Spot, and :WRS: ! Glad to have you among us!

Once you get the hang of these red tractors and how versatile they are, I'll bet it won't be your last or only one!

Duff :thumbs: