Sign in to follow this  
jpmcleod

Fuel flow

jpmcleod

I love it when members apoligize for asking "stupid" questions. We all have them. So here's mine.

I have a Kohler 12 Magnum and replaced the fuel pump with a used pump. No directions/instructions included. It has on top "In --->" between the two fuel inlet/outlet ports. I attached the fuel line from the fuel tank to the "In" side and the hose to the carb to the ---> side. I can't get it to pick up gas. I rebult the carb so I know the float is not stuck closed as i loosened the bowl and it was full.

My question. Do I have the hoses correct or backwards. There is fuel in the filter and up to the fuel pump. It runs if I spray gas into the carb. Am I blowing fuel instead of sucking fuel from the tank?

Thanks for any assistance. I really appreciate any response.

WH nut

Did you make sure the pump arm is on top of the cam

jpmcleod

Yes, The fuel bowl stays full of gas. I am going to take the carb off this morning and start all over. I pulled the fuel line off yesterday and turned it over with the starter. The fuel pump is pumping. Somehow gas is not getting through. It started raining and blowing so I had to stop. 90% rain chance today. So much for the Sunshine State, but we need the rain.

Red Horse

I had a similar experience earlier this year. First, make sure the pump is oriented correctly and is working. Then check your fuel line and fuel valve. If you are getting fuel and no spark, check your coil/ ignition module. Next, check to see if you are getting any spark. I had spark when I checked for it OUTSIDE of the hole but none when I screwed the plug back in.! Try a new spark plug. As dumb as it may sound a lot of new spark plugs are no good from out of the wrapper. BTW after a new plug was installed,it ran like nothing had ever happened. <_< Good luck

jpmcleod

Got it running, but let me tell you the problem. The original fuel metal pump had the inlet on the left side and the outlet to the carb on the right. The replacement plastic fuel pump inlet and outlet ports were reversed. Swapped the hoses around and it runs great.

Thanks for all the imput.