Sign in to follow this  
danno676

You guys heard of this?

Save Old Iron

From their website

" When Sur-Prep

danno676

Very good point.

Our process on the boat is to sand/wire wheel and loose rust off (my boat is just at a year old so there is nothing out of hand yet) then apply the rust reformer with a brush. It lays down VERY smooth. I can't say what it would look like if it were painted over with a spray gun, but when painted over with a roller you don't see anything abnormal about it. I am sure you can make it as uniform as you would like if you took your time with the application, problem is that I don't think you can sand if the application isn't smooth. Hey, it's a tugboat, not a showboat :thumbs:

I will say that I have seen it used on older boats and the following summer the rust had not blead through the paint (white), that says a lot. The main thing is that there must be rust present for the chemical reaction to take place (for the product to turn black). When applied to bare metal that no rust can be seen on by the naked eye, the mixture will turn black almost immediately indicating cghemical reaction.

I was mostly suggesting this stuff for mower decks or frames. When I start the restore on my 516 there are a couple of spots by the foot rests (go figure) that I will be applying it to.

IMG_0065.jpg

starbdeck.jpg

Everything from the second deck on down pretty much stays submerged in salt water, the stuff does work good.

rickv1957

Problaly would work well on a deck bottom,Rick

big mike

Most rust converters have phosphoric acid as the active ingredient and most time the acid is about 5% of the product.

I have used Ospho on white(sand blasted) metal and then painted over it with great success.

http://ospho.com/

danno676

Yup, ospho is good stuff :thumbs:

We use it as well on smaller areas, especially if rust is bleeding through the paint as a way to stop/neutralize it before the wire wheels are broken out. Also use it in a bucket of water (diluted) to wash things down. Stuff does work wonders!!