Sign in to follow this  
BRADFORDKO

Unidrive for Wheel Horse 654

BRADFORDKO

I just experience a transmission malfunction while cutting grass the other day.

:thumbs:

The tractor will only go into 3rd gear and out of third gear it locks up. I am in the process of trying to remove wheel hubs without damaging anything. Then take a look inside. Plan to rebuild but need to get up and running soon.

Anyone rebuild these as a hobby and have one for sale? :D

Ken

Plattsmouth, NE

654 (Currently crippled unidrive)

32" and 36" deck

36" snow blower

Blade

Attached Image

post-74-1277485452.jpg

JUSS10

having dealt with a similar issue myself, pull the shifter out and realign the shift forks. then re insert the shifter and tighten the set screw till tight then back it off a little. see if that fixes it first. beats pulling it apart.

BRADFORDKO

I will give that a try when I get home. The gear shifter now feels like in the middle of the shift pattern it finds 3rd and stays there. :thumbs:

When you move out of that area the shifter plays alot, moving around wildly but does not find any other gear and the differential locks up.

Does that sound like what you have experienced. Looking at an enlarged view from the manual, it would then mean the shifter has jumped or fell out of the shift fork.

In your experience, is it hard to "find" the socket for the shift fork after pulling it out; is it just left or right the exact spot and you just have to find that area.

Ken

Attached Image

post-74-1277488367.jpg

JUSS10

for me i just pulled the shifter and re aligned everything with a larger screw driver. i wish i could be more descriptive but it was super easy and obvious when i pulled the shifter out.

BRADFORDKO

Great advice :D

I will give it a try. The way it feels and looking at the images I believe the shifter is just to the right of the fork and all I need to do is find the fork with the screw driver and realign it which I should be able to tell if the wheels will turn without turning the pulley and roll smoothly. That would mean I found neutral!

I will let you know what I find. I busted the input pulley trying to pull it off with a gear puller :thumbs: So even if I fix the shifter I have to replace the pulley.

Any recommendations on where to find a good quality pulley. Still trying to get it off but piece by piece breaking apart it is only a matter of time before I reach the shaft. The pulley was made of cheap pot metal.

Ken

JUSS10

i was just at TSC today and saw they have a nice selection of pulleys. i would guess any good farm store or small engine repair shop might have what you are looking for.

qd-16

A cast iron pulley is what you want, not hard to find. :thumbs:

BRADFORDKO

Juss,

You were right! :D

I did what you said and it all lined right up, just had to center the two halfs of the forks and she was in neutral. I also found a 4" x 3/4 pully at the local farm type store.

Only issue I have is the belt seems to grip to tighly when in neutral and the gears grind a little because the pulley is spinning too much, then when I do engage the gears sometimes it seems like not enough grip is there.

I believe because of the new pulley and old belt, the rubber on the is gripping more and a new belt with the fabric woven outside will allow better slippage when in neutral. Also, maybe a 1/2 short will allow better engagement bacause I think the inside diam of the new pull could be slightly smaller. Better yet, I will stick to the right size belt which I think shows as a 70" x 1/2".

THANK YOU for signing in and giving great advice! You deserve a medal! :thumbs:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-74-1277506275.jpg

JUSS10

glad it worked for you!

rickv1957

Sounds like it worked out for you on your tranny!,Rick