Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

Cast Wheel Weights

tgranthamfd

Thought I would redo the Cast wheel weights, that I finally got. I was having a time trying to decide what color to go with. I decided I liked the looks of my 05 classic GT, with the black plastic filled weights on it, had some complements from you folks, as well. I wanted to add some wheel paint protection into the mix, so I decided to try either rubberized undercoating or the spray in bed liner, in spray bomb form. I went with the spray in bed liner. I didn't get any before shots, but they were painted white and it had turned into a yellowish color. I Easy Offed them at the car wash, and have the back sides completed, intend to let cure for a day or 2, then flip them over and do the front sides. Please let me know your thoughts on my choices and processes.

First photo is the weights after the easy off treatment at the car wash.

DSC01247.jpg

Second is after 2 coats of rust-oleum spray in bed coating, on the back side.

DSC01248.jpg

More to come in a day or two. Thanks for looking.

tgranthamfd

P.S. I don't know much about these weights, just that they were bought by me from Joe's, on e-bay, and they were on a 520 H. Any information any of you might know would be appreciated. Thanks Terry

Kelly

Those are not WH weights, but I do have one just like them, yes just one, mine is 56lbs and I believe they are just a aftermarket weight, sold at many lawn and garden shops

tgranthamfd

Those are not WH weights, but I do have one just like them, yes just one, mine is 56lbs and I believe they are just a aftermarket weight, sold at many lawn and garden shops

I was pretty sure that they were not Wh. I think they weigh in at 52lbs each. Thanks

Prater

Terry,

Does the spray in only come in black? I have a set of WH fronts and rears that I am planning to paint red, I would love to have a tougher exterior like the spray in but wanted to go with red instead.

MikesRJ

You could always spray the fronts in red, mask off, and then spray the back sides with the bed liner spray ... just a thought. Great idea though. I'm sure it would add some protection to the wheels as long as the weights are firmly bolted down.

tgranthamfd

Terry,

Does the spray in only come in black? I have a set of WH fronts and rears that I am planning to paint red, I would love to have a tougher exterior like the spray in but wanted to go with red instead.

Not sure on that one Steven, I think most of the bed liner stuff is paintable. You could, probably, put on the bed coat, let it set up, scuff it, and paint it your favorite flavor of red. :thumbs: Maybe some of the others have tried this, but I have not. I know if you got them ready and took them to a commercial place, they do colors, but I think they mix it up then shoot it all in one pass, or 2 if you want it on thicker. May add a little weight that way, too. Once again, this is all speculation on my part.

tgranthamfd

Still not sure about the stuff, they have been sitting in that cargo basket on the back of my Jimmy, in the sun for 2 days and when I ran my fingernail across it, it made an indention. It did say it needs 3 days to fully cure, give it another day then I'll flip them and do the front sides. Stay tuned.

Lane Ranger

Terry: I have a set of the same steel weights and they were on my B-80 when I purchased it used. They were painted white when I got the tractor and I have painted them IH red. All the rain we are having in west central Indiana the last two months should be a reason for me to take them off for mowing but I use the tractor for snowplowing and they help a lot with traction.

100_6298.jpg

rickv1957

Your wheel weights are looking good,will have to try it on a set,Rick

tgranthamfd

Still not sure about the stuff, they have been sitting in that cargo basket on the back of my Jimmy, in the sun for 2 days and when I ran my fingernail across it, it made an indention. It did say it needs 3 days to fully cure, give it another day then I'll flip them and do the front sides. Stay tuned.

I think the verdict is in, the back side of the weights finally got hard enough to not scratch with my fingernail, when it said 3 days it meant 3 days. I will get them flipped over and get a couple of coats on the fronts before I head off to work tomorrow. May have to wait until I get home to get the pictures posted.

tgranthamfd

Well here is the front sides, with 2 coats and about 12 hours dry time on them. All in all they look ok, but I hope they look better on the tractor. Will get a photo up after they have cured and I get them mounted. Thanks for looking.

DSC01250.jpg

and

DSC01253.jpg

Thanks Terry

rickv1957

Terry,the black will look great with that red tractor!,Rick

danno676

Looks awesome!! Wish I could find a set for myself.

tgranthamfd

Looks awesome!! Wish I could find a set for myself.

Hang in there, it took me quite a while, finally got lucky with price and with shipping. Guess on the price that would have been a matter of opinion, but they were in the price range that I was willing to pay after watching auctions for some time. I paid $125 for the weights and $3? (thirty something) on the shipping, I think. :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Got them put on but it was way after dark, so will get a picture up tomorrow. Bad part it was still over 90 degrees at around 11:00 pm, okie time, it was kinda warm in the horse shed. Now I am set to go get started on my food plot for fall. :thumbs:

gwgdog66

They did look good in the dark :thumbs: :D

tgranthamfd

Alright, here is the finished product and they are in their new resting place. Thanks for looking.

DSC01254.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

Thanks Terry

JimD

Those weights looks great on the tractor! :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Those weights looks great on the tractor! :thumbs:

Thanks, I looked for that style for a long time, and for that tractor.