Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

k161 an k181 interchangability

JUSS10

have a few quick questions about the similarities of these two engines. first, is there a difference between pull start and electric start besides the starting method. like say i found a k181 pull start and want to throw it in a tractor that had a k181 with the starter generator. can i just remove the starter assembly from one and bolt it to the other?

and then along the same lines, can that be done from a k161 to a k181 and vice versa?

VinsRJ

Depending on the spec of the motor not all flywheels for a K161 and K181 had the provisions for both recoil and/or electric start. Meaning some flywheels will have the notch near the crank for a recoil and the tapped studs for the starter generator pulley. Some may only have one of those provisions and not both, all the while you can't forget there were flywheels with a starter gear for the later starter only style.

Will the K161 and k181 flywheels interchange on the crank, from my experiences yes...... but you need to investigate which flywheel is going to fit your project.

There is a differnece between the recoil ignition and battery ignition set ups. A good source to see the differnece is to get yourself a K-Series manual. There were a number of different set ups and a manual will layout exactly what you have and what you will need to complete a conversion.

All of this is not hard....... almost all parts interchange, you just need to verify that the parts when put together will provide you with the desired outcome.