Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

stuck lift hitch

JUSS10

so my newly acquired 854 has a lift hitch that appears to be rusted in place. i was able to loosen it a little with a liberal dosing of PB blaster and sticking a 2 foot chisel in it and prying up but it still barely moves. got the rings of the sides of the pin and was just wondering if anyone has had this happen and if there is a "smart" way about doing this. Or should i just get out the hammer and a block and start beating on the pin? thanks

Justin

rickv1957

Apply some heat with a torch and keep working it a little at a time with the movement and the blaster,I freed one the other day after 3 days off and on,Rick

CasualObserver

Read through this old thread, it should be helpful. There are links in the thread to older discussions, and links in them to even older ones.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11747

JUSS10

go figure the one time i post before searching and there are a ton of threads :D thanks for the link

stevasaurus

Some guys swear by a pneumatic hammer with punch. :D

Lane Ranger

This is what we have done to replace the hitch pin and make it easy to change hitches, etc.

When you get that out replace it with one of these for less headaches in the future!

Also here is a closeup photo of one of the TSC 3/4 inch round by 6 and 3/4 inch long. You can buy them for less than seven dollars and they can be quickly removed and the regular hitch(s) can be removed. Other RedSquare Members have provided more details on use of this pin and it is a big improvement for ease of changing or removing hitches.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...t=0entry83701

102_6043.jpg

:D

linen beige

Keep it wet, dripping wet, with penetrating oil as you wiggle it up and down. It will eventually free up. Be careful using that chisel. If it is shaped so that it puts pressure on a small portion of the hitch "slot" you run a good risk of it cracking the hitch. A flat steel bar that fits the hitch slot is a better idea.

tgranthamfd

Agreed on all of the above suggestions, and the pin selection at TSC or most farm stores is very good, they even come in red and black, Wheel Horse colors.