Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

The 160/520/FEL Project - Dial-up warning 16 pics

kj4kicks

Here are the pics of the C-160 520H FEL project.....

P1014942.jpg

P1014944.jpg

P1014943.jpg

P1014940.jpg

P1014939.jpg

P1014947.jpg

P1014949.jpg

P1014948.jpg

P1014950.jpg

P1014951.jpg

P1014953.jpg

P1014955.jpg

P1014956.jpg

P1014957.jpg

P1014954.jpg

P1014958.jpg

nylyon

Great pictures, that 520 cleaned up really nice. How's the performance of the 520 vs. C-160 with the FEL on it?

nylyon

And I can see on that picture #8 that the roll pin is coming out of the steering wheel. Mine does that all the time, need to tap that back in, had mine come out a couple of times.

kj4kicks

I haven't had a chance to go "play" yet. I still have the side cover and running boards of until the next parts order comes in (tomorrow). Seems ok the little bit I ran it around, though.

The pin was out so I could remove the wheel to replace that column bushing.

T-Mo

Nice - as Karl stated that 520 sure cleaned up good. Okay are you going to leave the older hood on it or keep the 520 hood?

kj4kicks

I need to add some metal to the back of the 160 hood to make it overlap the dash tower on the side. I need to find someone locally that can stamp the louvers in the 160 hood (for cooling), or cut them out of a donor hood. Anybody have half a hood for sale? After that, I'll get it blasted, paint it, and add the original style rubber hold-downs. The wife likes the original 520 metal, and I like the 160 style. She has learned, however, that I build my toys the way I like them.

The nice thing is, it only takes about 5 minutes to swap the hood and fender pan. Shoot, I could show it one way in the morning, and change it after lunch. That'll keep 'em guessing !

Eldon.

nylyon

Maybe a low profile hood scoop would do the trick? Maybe something like:

G_21062G_TH_1.gif

Curmudgeon

Woo Hoo!!!!!! I LIKE that hood scoop idea. Now I'm having thoughts, and I don't care if it will be over a K-341 and totally nonfunctional and unnecessary. It would be COOL!

Maybe someday I'll have enough time all the big pictures can load. LOL

Thanks for dialup warning, at least I can read the words and wonder.........

Dale, in suspense in Michigan

Rollerman

Thanks for the pics Eldon...looks like an interesting creation.

How did you make such a clean cut at the dash tower?

Here's my input though...if you go with the C type hood try & find a set of the vintage wheel horse hubcaps...the one's with the red/black insignia.

Stephen in northern IN.....FEL envy

kj4kicks

How did you make such a clean cut at the dash tower?

Here's my input though...if you go with the C type hood try & find a set of the vintage wheel horse hubcaps...the one's with the red/black insignia.

The hood scoop would be cool, if I were building a puller. I like stuff to be "stock appearing" (that was always my favorite drag race class).

I made the cut with a die grinder and cut off wheel. Measured once, and cut three times, to get it just right when the hood closed. Then dressed it smooth with a mini grinder.

Hitch pins on the pivot mounts (instead of that rod) will make it a 30 second hood swap when it's done. Still need to work out the headlight situation. Thinking of mounting 2 driving lights in the 160 hood, behind a velcroed-on original lense. Then I could pop the cover off as not to melt it when the flamethrower lights come on. Since the lights are now above the loader bucket level, that should light up the night! And I could actually point them wherever I wanted, since they will pivot behind the lense.

I'll pass on the hubcaps, I'd just mess them up !

Tomorrow night the covers and running boards should be back on, so I can "work". Oh yeah, the dual rear wheel adaptors should be here tomorrow also.

Eldon.

kj4kicks

Put it back together tonight, but I was running out of daylight, so I didn't install the duals. Just as well for the test run. Worked it for about an hour moving dirt.

How did it work ?

One word.....

~~~ WOW ~~~

Smooth power, the engine hardly changed RPM's !

More stable, Thanks to the wider and longer tractor.

New ag tires really tear up the grass & dirt when you spin them !

I was reminded how bouncy the 2-ply tires are on the front. The 4-ply's are on order, but not here yet. The extra rear tires will be the turf treads off the parts tractor. I'm afraid if I let it get any more traction, I'll really tear up some stuff (like the FEL). But the extra width will be nice. Also have to clean out a wider area in the garage to park it in. It barely fits in there now. That may be tomorrow night's project, along with cleaning up the old C-160 so it can be sold.

Eldon.... Lovin' life with a 520

nylyon

Knew you'd love it. As much as I like the C-160, the 520 is a little more heavy duty for the job and got to love the Onan for smooth power, and it sounds like a big tractor. Hope you get the C-160 hood painted up and fitted properly, it would be darn near perfect.

BTW, I have a brand new set of "newer" Toro hood decals for the 520 hood. They are similar to yours, but do not say 520-H on them if you wanted to replace yours.

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, I remembered that I can add sub-domains to my website. So I did. Here's the link:

http://wh.classickitchensandmore.com/

It has all of the pictures of the C160 FEL when I bought it, the 520 project, the 1077, and the Horse hauler.

Treed, feel free to use any of them for the calendar project.

Eldon.

kj4kicks

The new decals:

c520%20autopic.jpg

That oughta make scratch their heads at the WH meet !

Eldon.

Curmudgeon

Oh yeah, with official looking decals, complete with the R inside the wheel, it'll have more than one person thinking it's a stock tractor!

Dale, hoping to make it this year.....