Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

whats a good deal when looking for tractors...

JUSS10

ok so i am still new to this wheel horse thing. picked up a 704 last week for $150 which to the best of my knowledge is a good deal. well like everyone has said its a bug and it keeps biting. i find myself on craigslist a few times a day to search michigan and the surrounding states. i have since found a few but i honestly don't know whats a good deal. does anyone have a way to scale pricing on whats a good deal? say like is there a base price for the tractor then subtract cause it has this problem or that. then what if it has implements or a mower deck. Or am i just trying to make this to mathematical? i guess just like anyone else, i just want to get a good deal. maybe its just a matter of trial and error. :D

whfan74

I have found that patience is the best solution to your answer. Obviously we can tell those on Craigslist that are a little high for us as collectors but may attract those that are wanting a machine with one or multiple attachments for homeowner use.

I would venture to guess that most guys are looking for a "deal" on most models in the $200 and under price range for the majority of tractors. Keeping in mind that it is a huge bonus to have a running tractor within this deal. The more attachments included in the package the better. They can be used or resold for a way to recoup some of your initial investment in to the package deal.

Of course running around this site for a while you will see some models more desirable than others and those that command more money. That is part of the learning curve.

The bug bites often and opportunities arise. Knowing you feel good driving home with it is what I feel is very rewarding. Some can pay more than others, while some of us have to wait for those great deals.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a difficult topic that many of us wrestle with. As we grow deeper in the hobby we have a different outlook on purchasing our next Horse. I can honestly say that I have made some impulse buys in the beginning, from that I learned and have always tried to not make the same mistake twice.

Enjoy the hobby, as it easily consumes you. Good luck with your search............for me that is what creates the most satisfaction.

papaglide

I can honestly say that I have made some impulse buys in the beginning, from that I learned and have always tried to not make the same mistake twice.

Amen to that!

Actually two weeks ago I saw a pretty decent, running 120-8 with a 36" deck for $425. I gave the guy $50 to hold it for me for a week. He said sure, but if I back out He would only give me $25 back. I said no problem. I won't back out.

Well, I thought about that horse for a couple days. Once the excitement of finding it was over I really wasn't comfortable buying it. I went back and got my $25 back....sounds strange but its one of the best $25 I ever spent!

Patience. :D

figo40

I have been collecting different things for a long time and think that prices are very regional. I paid $200.00 for a piece of junk rusted 633 that did not run but I fixed it for not a lot of money. I learned a long time ago to buy with your heart if you want to collect. I will never make money at this hobby but will be happy with my purchases and really enjoy what Im own. So whats a good deal? I don't know, how bad do you want it?

bowtieguy

A good deal???...when they are FREE!!.....but a really good deal is when they drop them off at your Horse Barn....(also free)....collect em' long enough and you will find it strange how some just "appear".....

PS...working at TSC and delivering new mowers also has its "perks" :D

Save Old Iron

does anyone have a way to scale pricing on whats a good deal?

Or am i just trying to make this to mathematical?

Seriously, this math always works

what seller is willing to sell for

_________________________ = 1

what you are willing to pay

Kelly

Where in MI. are you?? I'm in MI. and find good deals all the time, a good deal does not mean it's less than $100 I've had a few very good deals that cost several hundred $$$

Don't look to hard, the tractors and deals are out there, put the word out, tell everyone your looking, I have people bring them to me, I made up business cards with my email and phone no. stating looking to buy Wheel horse tractors and other brands, drop one off at all the local repair shops, put one on every bulletin board you see, they will find you.

By the way I have a few nice machines and beaters to get rid of, if your interested??

Bow_Extreme

I'm in the Michigan area as well and like Kelly said there are alot of Wheel Horse tractors around. I suppose it really depends on how much you are willing to pay for a horse. If you want it bad enough you will ultimately pay the price but than again you may get it very cheap. Word of mouth goes along way. I just purchased another horse a couple weeks ago in the local area. I wasn't going to call about this tractor because he was asking way too much. I let it simmer a couple weeks, called him up, and just as I called him the local toro dealer was loading the machine on a trailer to take it in for appraisal and trade for a zero turn. Needless to say I saved it from the dealer and paid half the price he was asking.

wheelly

I will drive up to 8 hours one way for a good horse or a crippled one that needs some time to mend. I live in northcentral indiana and this weekend i'm driving 7 hours to southern Ill. to pick up a wounded horse that just needs a loving home. This hobby is good that it lets u see the countryside and u never know what else will jump in the back of the truck. :D

JUSS10

I'm in west michigan and haven't found any right around here. they all seem to be on the east side. i drove 2.5 hrs to indiana last week to get my first and found another on the east side that i am dealing with the owner on and am waiting to hear back. my big thing is i am looking for the round nose tractors. anything post 64 doesn't interest me much so it seems like there are quite a few less of those around. I suppose i should have said that in my first post.

i guess its like i thought. a good deal is as much as you are willing to spend.

rickv1957

A good deal depends on the price,the model and condition and how much you want it,Rick

refracman

What can be a good deal to you might not be a good deal to another just because they dont collect that style or need others to do the mechanicial work.

I know I have paid to much in the begining of this addiction and bought just about every model made. You will have to decide which model you want wether its the early round hoods, the C series, Ds, black hoods, maroon stripes, little ones, big ones, twins, :wh: the list goes on and on :USA:.

I have pertty much decided what my collection will consist of and sold off what i dont want.

I also learned to set a spending limit is a must and have pertty much stuck to it.

I have also learned that whatever your limit is keep that much reserved and on hand because good deals can disappear just as fast as they appear :D

Duff

I can echo a great deal of that's been said here, but would like to add that, at least early on, you can't go wrong by doing business with other members of this forum while you're getting your feet wet in this crazy addiction. That's what got me going, and I'm darned grateful! :USA:

The folks here will guide you, advise you, and probably can connect you with just about any machine you might find interesting, at a fair price. Once you've gotten the hang of this Red Horse :wh: thing, then you'll be able to judge what's fair in your own area. As the folks above have said, there are just too many variables to offer an informed opinion on what's a good price for a particular machine. There's no Kelly Blue Book for these tractors, which may be a good thing!

Good luck with your hunt!

Duff :D

HankB

I have found that patience is the best solution to your answer.

I must keep reminding myself... :USA:

I would suggest looking at tractors on eBay and seeing what the various models get bid up to along with where they are in the country. That should tell you what people are actually paying for them.

I'll be looking at a Raider 9 in about an hour. CL had no listing price - just make an offer. I have the benefit that it's about half a mile from me. The down side is that it has a Tecumseh engine which seems less desirable than the Kohlers. But if it is in decent condition and the seller is not looking for a lot of $$$... :D

Watching eBay and CL amuses me some times. It is amazing what some people think their stuff is worth. Then again, maybe they don't really want to sell it. ("Honey, I listed it on CL for a month now and no one ever calls!")

Good luck!

-hank

Edit: The other way to know you would have gotten a good deal (I suppose) is that someone beats you to it. In my case I got there at the requested time to find that it had already been sold to another for $200. That was probably a good deal for them, but it was more than I considered paying since the Raider 9 did not particularly interest me. OTOH it did include "attachment for snow removal" and "Needs probably new battery, blades sharpening and some more TLC" so without seeing it it seems hard to tell what it might have been worth.