Sign in to follow this  
barns1

1974 A90 Special Rearend Transplant

barns1

3spd rearend in my A90 Special is making noise. Does anyone know if an 6spd dual range will fit? Any major mods needed? I have a spare 6spd sitting around. Thanks for any suggestions. Gary

CasualObserver

It's not a direct bolt in... your A-90 special "should" have a Peerless tranny, not a Wheel Horse Uni-drive.

Of course... with modifications...nearly anything is possible. :D

barns1

Thanks. The frame looks to be similar, that's why I was wondering.

Kelly

The front of the frame is the same in the back where the trans mounts is diff, I think it uses the same trans as a 800 special if so I have a spare trans.

barns1

Is the trans you have a Peerless and is it in good condition? This is for the wife's tractor. And yes I am very fortunate to have a wife that loves these tractors. Makes it alot easier when I want to buy another one. We have had the A90 Special since the early 80's and has been an excellent tractor. It has always started almost before you turn the key, cold weather or hot. I know I'm stretching things a bit but it has been an excellent tractor and it fits the wife just fine. Gary

Kelly

My brother was using the tractor so as far as I know the trans is good.

salty57

The 1971 Special 800 and the A-90 were the only tractor to use the Peerless 1400 transaxle that I know of. I have three special 800"s

barns1

Kelly, Sorry for the delay getting back with you. Have an idea on price and shipping to St. Louis?