Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Restorations

KC9KAS

Maybe this post should be elsewhere, but EVERYONE looks at this one...

Are there any publications on the market that specialize on garden tractor restorations?

I would like to read up on what others do/have done, and get a really good feel for a restoration project before I just start tearing one of my WH's apart!

I read RS everyday, and sometimes more than once a day how other projects have progressed, but I want to do more ground work before starting. Thanks fellow RS/WH friends.

Save Old Iron

Interesting idea.

I would love to see a day 1 tally on the total cost of a typical restoration.

Ok, start with your $100 treasure and add in ALL associated costs to get it back to like new. Gas, tolls, etc to pick it up. Sandpaper , new bolts, wiring, paint, new gauges and repair parts, all that good stuff.

Would probably scare a few folks away.

squonk

Don't forget the " fun" part. For example, I just picked up this old GT-14 a couple a weeks ago. Came with a snow blade chains and weights. No deck and PTO clutch is shot. It also came with a bad paint job but it runs great. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or sell it an look for something nicer. Anyway it had a straight pipe on it with a rain cap and it was loud. I like exhaust stacks with rain caps so I went to TSC and bought a $25 IH cub muffler and put the cap on it. To me that was fun. I could have done something cheaper so as far as the cost goes, I'm not counting it because It was fun and I get a kick out of driving the GT around with it on. My wife thinks I'm weird. :D

tgranthamfd

Interesting idea.

I would love to see a day 1 tally on the total cost of a typical restoration.

OK, start with your $100 treasure and add in ALL associated costs to get it back to like new. Gas, tolls, etc to pick it up. Sandpaper , new bolts, wiring, paint, new gauges and repair parts, all that good stuff.

Would probably scare a few folks away.

I have over a $1000 in my $100 Suburban 400. That does have my $200 blade added that I never got that I won on e-bay, long story. I documented it pretty good until I actually started working on it, so not completely accurate. Oh yeah, I'm still not finished.

pfrederi

If you have to ask what a restoration would cost...you can't afford it.

If you have to ask how long it will take...you do not have enough time. :D

GlenPettit

Ken:

Lawn and Garden Collector Magazine is excellent, has three to five articles each issue on Restorations 'How to" with lots of pictures, usually a 'history article' on one of the manufacturers, and the ads are mainly shows or sources who sell restoration parts. I think most of us are getting this high quality magazine, well worth the cost.

www.LawnAndGardenCollector.com

Phone: 1-866-378-2954 (52+ pages, bi-monthly, $25.95)

KC9KAS

I already get the LAGC magazine....I read it from cover to cover as soon as it arrives! ( I think my wife also reads it when I'm not looking) Thought there may be others. Thanks