Sign in to follow this  
jlove

1978 C161 not charging...

jlove

I have 1978 C161 wheelhorse hydrostat with 16hp engine. It does not seem to be charging. The connections are good on the voltage regulator. Not sure the motor is charging. Is there something that I could check? Not sure what the problem might be. I have looked for a wiring diagram online but can't seem to find one.

Save Old Iron

There are 3 connections on the rectifier / regulator

USUALLY oriented like this

regrectifierconnections.jpg

leads labeled #1 come from the stator within the engine and should have 28 to 40+ volts AC - that's AC volts when you measure between the leads. This voltage will depend on the RPM of the engine - higher RPM - higher voltage.

If the proper AC voltage is present, check DC - that's DC voltage from terminal #2 to ground . It should read 13 or higher volts DC. This is the connection that should go directly to the battery + terminal to charge it.

Also make sure all you connections are clean and tight on the terminals and that the rectifier / regulator assembly is grounded thru a clean, tight connection.

Give us an update

:D

jlove

Tank you. I am going to check what you posted and make sure everything is hooked up right and clean. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help.