Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

recoil starter rebuild?

JUSS10

ok so my new to me 704 came without the recoil starter on it, previous owner said it broke. i have a bag full of all the parts for the starter. just wondering if it is possible to rebuild these. anyone ever done that? or can anyone at least tell me how it all goes together, maybe an exploded view? and while i'm on it, what motor came in the 704 (model)?

linen beige

maybe an exploded view? and while i'm on it, what motor came in the 704 (model)?

Here's a parts diagram. Be careful re-winding the spring!

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=kohler_...37&dn=020301839

Your 704 left the factory with a Kohler model K161T, 7 horsepower engine. Spec number 28937E.

JUSS10

hmm that doesnt look like my recoil starter. I'll take a picture of the starter tomorrow and see what you all think

JUSS10

oh here are the parts from the recoil

DSC_0494.jpg

TT

That's a 41 165 04 retractable starter - the modern replacement for the cast aluminum unit that would have originally been on the 704.

Here's a LINK to the IPL at PartsTree.

Any Kohler dealer should be able to supply you with parts to fix your starter, or you can probably dig one up (used) off of eBay, etc.

Search for Kohler M8 and/or Magnum recoil starter.

(Hint: eBay item number 200479222540 is the original version and you might be able to grab it for a reasonable price :D )

JUSS10

well i put it back together and it seems to work ok. need to redo it as it doesnt pull the rope in the whole way but for now it will do nicely. beats wrapping a rope on the back, pulling then re wrapping till it fires...