Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

High-temp Paint on Engine Tins?

chesbaycruiser

Greetings all.

Soliciting opinions about the need for high-temp paint on the sheet metal skins that shroud a Kohler Magnum 12.

I painted the muffler and engine block with a high temp black paint, but was undecided about the skins. (They're in pretty good shape and could probably stay as they are, but there are few small spots that are screaming at my anal-retentive side. :D )

I'm painting the black sections of the tractor sheetmetal Valspar RS Low Gloss Black, and not sure if I can use that on the engine tins or if I should stick with the high-temp stuff.

Thoughts?

As always, thanks!

CB

VinsRJ

I use Valspar on my tins without issue. You'll be fine.

PPGman

I think you would have no issues at all with the tins. I have used enamels, and urathanes directly on engine blocks in the past with no problems whatsoever.

bmuone

I'd like to bump this back up for a question CB. When you paint the engine, is there any part that you should not paint? Flywheel? Thanks

rickv1957

Fly wheels were not painted from factory if that helps,Rick

rmaynard

I painted my entire engine with Duplicolor high-temp engine paint. didn't like the color, so I repainted with Krylon Cherry Red. Decided that I would then paint it with acrylic urethane. Painted everything with the exception of the carburetor. Did that with a dull silver carburetor paint. Did not paint the flywheel, but I did treat it with a rust converter before putting it back on.

I've got about 6 hours on the engine since painting and the only thing that is changing color is the area around the exhaust.

Tins don't get near as hot as the block or head.

Bob

bmuone

Thanks Bob and Rick. Gives me an idea of what to look for. I did paint the flywheel and worried I goofed. But if the rust converter worked ok then maybe a little paint won't hurt.

rmaynard

I don't see where a little paint would hurt anything.

Bob

jdog_kustoms

paint might acually help with moving air and keepin dirt off since it will make it a nice smoth surface wont make night and day diferance but i wouldnt worry at all

VinsRJ

A couple coats of paint will not hurt but after that additional coats will impede with heat disbursement. A thin coat of etching primer and two coats of color on the block/head. The tins can be done as thick as you want. :thumbs: