Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse wanna-be

Battery reversed

Wheel Horse wanna-be

:D I reversed polarity by hooking up battery wrong. Motor started a couple of times. Won't turn over now. Have I damaged anything?

mavfreak

probably. I had an Honda 350 that I was fixing up. Got a new battery and hooked it up wrong as soon as I hit the key the wiring was gone. Needless to say I sold bike as a parts bike for just about what I bought battery for. I really learned my lesson there. At least wiring is pretty simple on these and I'm sure if save old iron sees this post he'll help you. He knows what hes doing so pay attention :D

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

Save Old Iron

SOI here,

taking a break from some serious holiday grilling !

33075049.jpg

Well, I have to admit I have zero practical experience with starter gen style tractors, BUT, that will change with my newly acquired $50 800 Special.

What I would like to see is a schematic of the tractor wiring.

In the meantime, I would remove the drive belt from the starter gen and with no physical connection between the engine and the S/G

1/ see if the engine turns over by hand - is the engine mechanically locked up ?

2/ does the starter generator spin correctly when you turn the ignition key to the start position ?

3/ carefully inspect ALL the wiring to the S/G unit for breaks and burns and possible loose or corroded wiring.

Let us know

Got to go - the Brauts are whistling on the grill .

Wheel Horse wanna-be

:D Well, here we go.

Bought 2 WH on Friday.

Iinstalled atest battery and the tractor had a red and black cable. Red is positive, right? Hooked it up, shot some etherand motor ran a little. Decided to charge battery and than noticed red cable was on Neg. post.

Changed connections, charged battery and nothing happened.

Sent message on Red Square for help.

Started to test 2nd tractor and noticed it had 2 black cables.

Started to go online and find wiring diagram and found 1 in a manual that came with tractor.

Found that red cable didn't belong on tractor and as it was, it was on the wrong polarity. Put battery back in 1257 with original connections. Gave it some ether and it kicked over. All is OK, need some carb. work but am happy camper. Also got 2nd tractor running and drove it around. 1out of 2 is OK. Now need info on carb, any links would help.

Thanks SOI for responding.

Horse Fanatic

Don't rely on the cable color to determine what cables go where. Look where the cables go, the positive goes to the starter solinoid and the neg goes to the tractor body.

Also, don't use ether to start a small engine! Use aerosol carb cleaner.

Kelly

Don't rely on the cable color to determine what cables go where. Look where the cables go, the positive goes to the starter solenoid and the neg goes to the tractor body.

Also, don't use ether to start a small engine! Use aerosol carb cleaner.

What he said on all counts.

At least the neg goes to ground someplace, and pos. to the solenoid or starter switch.

Wheel Horse wanna-be

Wasn't asking for a lecture, just letting you know the problem is solved.

Thanks SOI

Kelly

We were not giving you a lecture, just letting you know Ether can ruin a small engine, very fast.

Wheel Horse wanna-be

Thanks Buzz, just what I needed.