Sign in to follow this  
zootownjeepguy

The Curse of Grandpa's seat

zootownjeepguy

Hey, there. My grandfather had always been a "Wheel Horse" man. G'pa had a C-160 hydro for several years that had a transaxle leak. I loved that tractor and told him several times that I wanted to buy it from him when he was ready to get rid of it. Well, G'pa traded it in a couple decades ago for a nice used C-165, but he kept the Deluxe C-160 Seat (very nice condition). We lost G'pa a year ago and I ended up with the C-160 Deluxe Seat.

Almost a year ago I bought a decent, 1975 C-160 Automatic from another Red Square member that is nearly identical to G'pa's (well, okay. G'pa had put a chrome swan hood ornament on his C-160. I'm not going there). My C-160 drips a little hydraulic fluid here and there but mostly it just sits in the garage. I plan on restoring the tractor soon.

A couple months ago I cleaned and repainted the rear fenders and put them back on the C-160 with G'pa's seat. Now I find that G'pa's seat has a Curse on it. A few weeks ago I noticed a lake of oil under the tractor (transaxle now empty) and I can't tell where it's leaking from. It had dripped a little over the course of a month or so but, all of a sudden (without being started, moved or otherwise disturbed) a big leak developed. Does anyone know these transmissions well enough to tell me where the most common trouble spot's are? :D I have removed one wheel hub and the axle seal does not appear to be the problem. The whole front and bottom of the transmission seems to be wet. Do the Frame Bolts go through to the trans case, or are they blind holes? I'll refill the trans and keep a close eye on it, but af any of you experts could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Rich.

The Toolman

The Transaxle mighta been close to empty when ya got it. Besides, after awhile a tablespoon of oil on the floor can spread out to look like a quart has leaked out.

squonk

I don't know if it uses the same hose set up as my GT-14, but one day I have a dry floor and the next day I have a miniature gulf oil spill. Top hose to the Hyd. lift control started leaking at the swivel. Had pressure behind it then Boom! :D

mavfreak

:D

zootownjeepguy

Update: Here at Radial Flatulence Industries (my nickname for the garage/shop because I'm usually out there just farting around) work has progressed on the C-160A. I have cleaned the transaxle and refilled it. It was only a quart low but it sure did spread (you are right, Toolman). It looks like it is coming out of the axle seal on the other side, but I have not figured out why the whole FRONT of the gearbox was wet with oil yet. I'll check the hoses. Maybe for now I'll just get some Adult sized "Depends" to put on it.

This was a good time to repaint the Toolbox so I did that, and if you read my other post's, I used Rustoleum too.

Thanks for the help guys!

By the way, When I removed the Rt. rear tire I discovered that it is filled with SAND :D. In all my years of playing with old tractors I have never seen that one. Could have a lot to do with why that tire won't hold air. I'll bet it's wearing the tire out from the inside! Water, Chloride, and even Anti-freeze I find in tires all the time but never sand. Well, should be easy to clean up the inside of that rim before I repaint them and put on the new tires!