Sign in to follow this  
marvairplanes

1970 Raider 12 - 8 speed

marvairplanes

Checked the transmission fluids on a recently acquired Raider 12.

Drained Brown, muddy, gritty sludge after about a pint of dirty water.

I jacked up one side, used the air compressor and blew out another pint of dirty liquid.

Need verification: Does this transmission use 2 quarts of SAE 35-140 gear oil?

Also, what procedure is used to flush out any of the old stuff?

I know some use kerosene...can you use gasoline also?

Marv (NW Oh)

520HC

Marv, I would not use gas because it actually could flush out your needle bearings to the point the needles could fall out.Kerosene is what I prefer.And yes it holds two quarts of gear lube.

rickv1957

Diesel fuel works well also,Rick

qd-16

Diesel fuel is what I used. Had my son pull me around (with an other wheel horse) shifted the trans. in first, second, and third gears to clean everything out. Flushed and did it again. Al.

marvairplanes

OK..thanks guys.

Gasoline probably also would create an additional risk !!!!

Chance of spark inside the case !!!!!

Was talking to my neighbor this afternoon and he said some guys will put a hand full of saw dust in with the gear lube...to "make it run quiet"...

Anybody ever heard of that?

Brrly1

Marv, I have heard of doing that when you have rods a knockin', It happened to a friend who bought a car. Car lasted for the drive home an blew up shortly thre after. Ouch! See Ya, Bye Burly :D

:USA:

Duff

Was talking to my neighbor this afternoon and he said some guys will put a hand full of saw dust in with the gear lube...to "make it run quiet"...

Wow! It's been years since I've heard that one, but yes.

An old mechanic friend of our family who has long since gone to his reward cautioned me as a youngster to be very careful when buying a used vehicle with a gear shift from any "shady characters." Apparently loading trannies and rear ends with sawdust to mask the whining of chipped or broken gears used to be commonplace, at least in this end of the country. :USA:

As to your tranny, from what I've read here several times, this might be a good time to split that tranny and check to see what shape the innards are in. That gritty sludge may just be rust scaling from the tranny case, but there's a good chance the gears or bearings may have some wear or damage as well. JMHO.....

Duff :D

linen beige

some guys will put a hand full of saw dust in with the gear lube...to "make it run quiet"...

Anybody else remember the episode of the Andy Griffith show when Aunt Bea bought a used '50s Ford? The rear end went out and the mechanic found it had been filled with sawdust.

This used to be common practice for shady car dealers. DON'T DO IT!

HankB

I wish someone had answered the "which gear lube" question as I'll shortly be on my way to TSC and don't have that info at my fingertips.

rwilson

I use 80/90 gear lube.