Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

1987 414-8

papaglide

Does anyone have any opinions regarding this tractor? I may be purchasing one but would like to know more about it to help me make my decision. Thanks.

Pirate

I don't have any other WH's to compare to, but I love mine. That 8 speed, really gears it down.

Nice easy to work on and operate.

FWIW, I paid $500 for mine with a 42" rear discharge deck, both in very good condition.

Horse Fanatic

Great machine, I love mine!

rickv1957

I purchased a new 414-8 in 87,it was a great tractor then and still is!, :D Rick

boatman

:USA:

I HAVE 414=8 AND USE IT ALL THE TIME WITH A 48" MOWER

AND I LOVE IT. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE FOR GARDEN TILLER :D

HankB

I would guess that the only bad thing is that it is not a hydro. :D That means manual lift.

On that series tractor, take a good look at the foot rests both top and bottom as well as the side covers near the foot rests. These seem to be rust prone areas.

hodge

The only bad thing about it that I can see is that you got to it first. :D I would love to have one- plenty of power, not as heavy as the twins, and just as well built as any of them. I love the single cylinder tractors, and figure that a 14 or 16 single is just about perfect. If you do get it, I am sure that you will be well pleased. I hope to stumble across one some day.

papaglide

It is local and I am watching it. It seems that the asking price keeps going down every couple of days.

Looks like it would be a nice tractor.

JoeMonag

hey, Papa glide, I recently picked up a '86 416-8 16hp single cyl. Kohler. I had been sitting for two years. After many hours of cleaning it up fixing the wiring, changing the oil, fixing flat tires, rebuilding the carb, replacing the points and condensor, fuel lines, rpelacing the bearings in the PTO and installing new filters, I have a good running tractor. I bought it to put my two stage snow thrower, that was a little too big for my '88 310-8. I have enjoyed my 310-8, but I have to tell you the 416-8 is a beast. It has a higher level of power and torque over the the 300 series, and is more comfortable to drive.I think you wil be impressed with the 400 series, compared to the older three series. This is the third Wheel Horse I have owned in the past 32 years. Some day I would like to pick up a good runiing 520, but I prfer the 8 speed trans. God Luck Joe in Norton