Sign in to follow this  
JimD

C85

bo2785

You seem to be doing a good job on your unit keep your progress going and don't stop the link .Pay no attention to the cridics,they were there once.NICE JOB !! :thumbs::D:D Unclebo

Ken B

Please keep the updates coming Jim. I agree with Jeff 100%

Your tractor is looking mighty fine.

JimD

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I will continue on this little fiasco of mine. Sorry if I get a little bent out of shape when I see comments that belittle someone's efforts, but it's just in my nature to be intolerant of it.

The next step was to come up with an engine with more hp for this tractor, I want to use it to plow snow, and the k181, while it will do the job, is a little under powered for a machine this size, I have a tecky HH140, but it will require more mods than I care to attempt. So when funds permit I'll try to find a 10, 12, or more hp kohler for it. Meanwhile, after getting this far I've found that the tranny is leaking between the case halves. So out it will come to split the case and install a new gasket. I also need to replace the brake shaft seal as I buggered it up when i put it in and didn't catch that. Greg(dgjks6), I feel your pain. :thumbs: But this us how we learn and expand our skills. Remember, you don't get experience from education, you get an education from your experiences. :D

rickv1957

Jim,Sounds great!!! :thumbs::D Rick

wheel horse man

looks good Jim i like the paint jop :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

I like everything you have done so far. :thumbs: It is amazing just how big those Black Hoods look without a engine in them. Makes me think the one I saw the other day wasn't as big as I thought it was, looked big enough to be a 195, might not have been. Keep up the good work.

stoneman

Jim . . . there are 3 kinds of people in this world. :thanks: Those that make things happen . . . :D:D those that watch things happen . . . :thumbs: and those that wonder what the F#@* just happened. . . so while those of us that take the time to watch what's happening as we take a break from making things happen, those that are always wandering as they wonder will be there doing what they do or do not do . . . and it just doesn't matter. so keep it coming and know that the rest of us who have that kind of passion DO appreciate the effort that it takes to pursue a passion, and WE are always rooting for each other to carry on! peace . . . scott

Butch

A shot of the belt guard and one of the footrests....

C85012.jpg

So that there is no mistake here, if you were to see this up close, you'd see the paint that is under the new paint that I didn't get off. I got tired of trying to find a reliable sand blaster to blast the parts for me, and I got impatient. I figure it's a working tractor, so at least it will have paint where there was little to none before. It looks better than it did, but it's by no means a show tractor. I don't have the patience some of you guys do to restore one to mint condition, and my hat's off to all of you that have. You inspire me to take on a refurb now and then and I do enjoy the process, it's fun for me to get out in the shop and putz around with the horses. Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them all. Notice how I cleverly stand just far enough away from the parts so the bad stuff doesn't show when I snap the pics... :D

"One" of the footrests? :thumbs:

If ya can't find a sandblaster you can always use paint removers. Paint removers can be messy but they do work. :D Some are better than others.

If you have a compressor with at least 10 cfm you could get a cheap sandblaster from Harbor Freight that holds a 100lb of sand. You'll only be able to blast for a couple minutes and then have to wait for the pressure to build back up but at least you can do some sand blasting relatively cheap. Just use finer sand with the smallest nozzle. I actually prefer my sand blaster to my blast cabinet. If you have a better compressor than that then you'll be able to blast longer!!

Butch

S. Jersey

JimD

Well Butch, it turns out that ya missed the fact that the other part in the pic isn't the belt guard either. One of two things happened here, either I'm screwin with you guys to see if you're paying attention, or I really farked up that post. I'll let you decide... :D

Edit: Could that be pictorial dyslexia? :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Glad you are hanging in there Buckaroo...and you are my Buckaroo. :thumbs:

Save Old Iron

Keep it rollin' in Jim.

Don't let the words amazing or awesome give you any grief - those words have been overused so much in today's world that they have lost any and all significance.

Try for interesting and educational, that's usually enough for me.

:thumbs: :D

JimD

I'm gettin a little too old to worry about being educational, so I'm just gonna try to enjoy the "experience". :thumbs:

dgjks6

Jim, if you get the trans off and get new seals you can bring it over and I bet we can change everything in a couple hours.

That being said - remember something will go wrong and it will take twice that long.

JimD

:thumbs: :D :D

rmaynard

Jim,

Everyone knows Murphy's law that says "If anything can go wrong, it will."

I subscribe to O'tooles commentary on Murphy's laws which says

"Murphy was an optimist".

Bob

shallowwatersailor

I also agree that you should keep posting. I just bought a C-105 and will use your thread as inspiration.

John

B-8074

It looks good so far. Keep it up. As far as sandblasting goes, here is a link to a store in Canfield, OH. They sell plans and even kits to build your own Blasting Cabinet out of 3/4" plywood and you can make any size you want.

DIY Blasting Cabinet

Don1977

Earl Shibe at his best! Good job so far Jim. :thumbs:

That's not an Earl Shibe job, his paint never even came close to

matching any standard color. :thanks::D :D

JimD

Thanks to TT pointing out in chat one evening awhile back that I would need a riser plate to mount that Tecumseh OH140 in the C85, I got one from ebay. Then I found the engine pulley with the 1 1/8 inch bore. I have done the mods, which weren't as difficult as I thought they would be, and mounted the Techy. I had it running this afternoon abd checked a few things out. I need to align the pulleys, then finish assembling the tractor, Hopefully I'll have it done this weekend yet. I'll post some pics when it is done. Thanks for all your support on this, and TT, thanks again for the heads up. You were right about the center height of the crank needing raised to not interfere with the belt guard.

The mods are not really professional looking, but the engine will stay put and function as it should. I wish I had some of you guys skills in modding and fabbing. you all do some incredible work out there, so keep the projects coming. It's my favorite section here.

stevasaurus

Good to hear you are back at it Jim. :thumbs:

buckrancher

keep on her Jim :thumbs: getter done

JMW

First thing first.....dam nice tractor.I just went through the whole post and you are doing a great job.Makes me want to re-do my c125 after the snow season.If i do it will be the same way.......better looking but a worker.I hope that you will post some more pics soon. Jim.

JimD

IT'S DONE!! I finished her up this morning. Her she is...

C85completed003.jpg

C85completed002.jpg

C85completed001.jpg

C85completed004.jpg

and my first attempt to post a video of her maiden run...

th_C85completed008.jpg

massey

Looking good, congratulations on finishing it.

racinfool40

Looks great and sounds great :):wh: Thanks for the VIDEO!!!!!and another face to the name!!!!! :thumbs: