Sign in to follow this  
Gene_S

Gas Tank Gasket Install

Gene_S

Hi Guys... Looking for some info. I am putting a new gas tank gasket in for my Tri-cycle tractor. Would you use and sealer on the new gasket (if so what kind) or put it on dry? Thanks in advance!!!

Kelly

I'd use a good quality spray gasket sealer put a nice even coat on both sides and button it up, don't use the copper it works great but VERY hard to get off if you even need to, I only use it on steel parts that I can scrape hard or sand on to remove it.

stevasaurus

Gene...I would never argue with Kelly. I happen to like Copper Coat...did not know they still made it, and I used it on my 702 transmission build. Kelly is right that it is hard to remove (that's why it works).

anyway...Buckrancher did a post and he used a sealer called Yamabond #4.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10566

it is on the 2nd page dated July 8th. he does say that he used it in a metal to metal application...no gasket.

Just adding some different options. :D

Gene_S

Thanks Kelly and steve... Now I know what I need to do... :D

bell

it is on the 2nd page dated July 8th. he does say that he used it in a metal to metal application...no gasket.

Steve, better read it again...

From buckrancher's thread...

flat file all mating edge's check for burr's and besure tank bottom sits flat on tank top apply yamahabond to all mating surface's (tank top,tank bottom and both sides of gasket

I would definately use the gasket AND some form of good sealer...

stevasaurus

Jon, if you go down farther in the thread on the same day at 8:34, Brian stated that the bond stuff was used on Yamahas in a metal to metal situation. I knew he used a gasket in his gas tank, but it looks like it may work even if you do not have a gasket. I would recommend a gasket also.

Anyway, I am prone to reading things wrong...you made me go back and re-read it. :USA: I think I have read this thread about 8 times know...it is excellent reading. :wh:

it is on the 1st page and it is Yamahabond #4.

thanks Jon :D