Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Tire Question-856 tractor

hoppy

Believe or not the 66' 856 i recently acquired has the original wheel horse tires on them. fronts are 16 x 5.50-8 on a 8-3/4" rim and the rears are 23 x 8.50-12 on a 13" rim. i was suprised after sitting for 12+years that the tires still held air up until today when i discovered my left front is dead flat. filled her up again to find a big leak from filler fitting where it come through the rim. crap! i had some cleaning up to do around the yard.

what should i do here? im assuming these are innner tube tires. the tread on the rears is still pretty good. the fronts are ok and useable for this year. where can i buy an inner tube for this wheel? what size would that be? or should i just replace the tires completely? any feedback would be much appreciated. i need to get this baby back to work asap!!!!

sorekiwi

Your wheels are 8" and 12", the diameter is measured where the tire sits on the rim.

Most of the really old tires are dry-rotted by now, if yours are OK I'd just put a tube in it. That size front tire is hard to find these days, I had to go with tri-ribs on my 1276 as I couldnt find 16-5.50-8's.

I get most of my tubes from a country hardware store that stocks a lot of garden tractor and implement tires. I've also bought one from a local tire dealer (but again, I'm out in the country so they stock that sort of thing...)