Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

Really Pissed off....Suburban Electra Start

clintonnut

This is the first tranny that went bad on us. It was a "1st gen" unidrive suburban 550. This had the weaker style differential and today I brought it over to tractordaves house and we were riding it around after the Little Guys show and I thought my break band was just dragging like it sometimes does but a sound kept getting worse and it sounded like it was coming from the inside of the trans. We weren't romping on it or anything just driving it around and over some small dirt piles and through some shallow mud for just some fun but the popping started before that today. The last straw was I was driving the tractor uphill at about 1/4 throttle and it just stopped and started rolling backwards then the tractor went into a wheelie and stalled. I can't really drive it anymore because I think there are 3 teeth missing off the differential. I can't believe it has to be torn down again. If you looked at the build pictures the tranny was rough and the diff had some pitting and wear but it didn't look too serious. There is a service bulletin about the weaker diff which I had in mine. I will probably upgrade it now to the 11 tooth brakeshaft and fine spline diff. At least it isn't entirely my fault and I will have a good excuse for when I tell the old man.

:D

Charlie

MikesRJ

That's your story and you're sticking to it! Good luck Charlie.

VinsRJ

Sorry to read about the tranny Charlie..... as you know they are not that bad to work on.

My Rat 5003 is ready to be put back together, hoping not to have to pull that apart again. :D

JimD

Sorry to hear that Charlie. My B80 is out of service now due to tranny noise. It's gonna have to come apart too, but it's on the back burner right now while I'm working on the C85 refurb. You know these trannies inside out, you'll have it up and running again in no time. :D

stevasaurus

Did the "old man" help you putting the one together? :D

clintonnut

Yes he did but there is a service bulletin of the weak differential so it is not our fault. Told Pops about it and he didn't seem to freaked out about tearing a completely restored tractor apart! I WILL take pictures of this. I think I might also have new axle shafts made while I have it apart as these leaked because the sealing surface wasn't all that great.

Charlie

clintonnut

Took the trans out today and disassembled it. Huge layer of metallic goo on the bottom of the case and 3 teeth missing off the differential. No other gears hurt and brake shaft is still good! No big chunks of metal but will need complete tear down and cleaning.

Charlie

HorseFixer

You dont have that thing back together yet? :D

oldandred

You dont have that thing back together yet? :D

Duke you should go help him it will give you some thing to do

854WH

that stinks man i never took apart any trans's but ive seen pictures they look like :USA: "fun" :D

854WH

lol :D:USA::D :wh: