Sign in to follow this  
mikem5000

New Here Need some info please

mikem5000

Hello,

I'm new here and just bought a Wheel Horse last night and need just a litle info.

I'm going to pick it up today and when I tried it out yesterday it works perfectly except for the clutch pedal.

To me it seems like there was a return spring on the pedal and now ots gone....but I have no idea where to look to install another. If you push the clutch pedal down it stays down...you need to take your foot and bring it back to engage it.

The model is a 314-8 can anyone help me out here?

I hope to be posting pics of it here soon as I get it home. Its very clean and needs only the seat repaired which has some black tape on it now....It also has the rear discharge deck and Kohler engine.

I'm sure I will be asking more questions in the future since this is my first WH. I know I will have questions about getting a hitch on it since I want to use it in the garden.

MRM

:D

hcminis

Here is a post with some pictures. If it is the spring I'm thinking of then look about half way down and two above where the mower deck pictures start. Won't be the exact same but you can get a feel for where and what you are looking for. You will need to lift the rear fenders/seat pan and it would be on the left side. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Clutch Spring

T-Mo

Check this thread. It has links to other threads that should be helpful.

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

Duff

T-Mo, the pictures are missing from some of the threads you reference.....

Duff :USA:

Oops! Forgot..... :D !

markslawnmowerworld

Wheel Horse Fan

When I bought my 416-8 it had the same problem. Throw a spring on there and it will work fine. I bought one from Lowes and it works fine. The manual should also help identify the location. Go to toro.com then click homeowners then click manuals. Get the model number and S/N from under the seat, you will need them to find the proper manuals.

Welcome to an awesome website with some great helpful people.

HankB

... I tried it out yesterday it works perfectly except for the clutch pedal.

To me it seems like there was a return spring on the pedal and now ots gone....

Could the tractor even move if the spring is missing? What would put tension on the belt? I wonder if it is a pivot that is stiff or lacks lubrication.

Fiddlestix

...you need to take your foot and bring it back to engage it.

HankB,

Read on. I would have to guess he means it works perfectly by pulling the pedal back up (engaged) with the top of his foot. In that case, what would keep the thimng engaged? Gunky sticky pivot? Or is the spring actually there?

So you could also be right. Perhaps the thing is all gummed up and the spring (if indeed present) hasn't the oomph to override a rusted/crusted on pedal.

mikem5000

...you need to take your foot and bring it back to engage it.

HankB,

Read on. I would have to guess he means it works perfectly by pulling the pedal back up (engaged) with the top of his foot. In that case, what would keep the thimng engaged? Gunky sticky pivot? Or is the spring actually there?

So you could also be right. Perhaps the thing is all gummed up and the spring (if indeed present) hasn't the oomph to override a rusted/crusted on pedal.

Its missing the whole deal but I can pull the pedal freely with my foot back up to engage the clutch.

I was out using it a little this morning on the yard and I love it! just got to get that spring and in the other thread I had on here a member showed exactly where it goes and supposed to look....I'm glad he did now i know what to look for. This is a very helpful site....thanks guys!

Now I got a couple of pics of the machine. I know its a little dirty but i had to try it out...now I'll clean it back up :D

DSCN2858.jpg

DSCN2857.jpg

mikem5000

1 more thing guys....I looked up the parts by my model and serial number but it didn't tell me the year....can someone tell me what year it is from these numbers?

Mod. 73400

Ser. 3900478

Fiddlestix

It looks like a 93 to me. Many times it is easier to use a dealers parts lookup rather than toro's.

Here is Mowparts

Parts Lookup

In the BRANDS window pulldown, select Toro.

Next selection will be "Riding Products"

Then a numbing list of model numbers will appear. They are arranged by the very first digit of your model. Yours being 7, grab the scroll button and zoom down to your model number. There will be 4 or 5 choices based upong the SN and adjacent to that is the year.

HankB

Mod. 73400

Ser. 3900478

If I go to https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...es&xCaller=Toro and enter 314-8 for model name, it finds model number and serial number ranges that confirm it as a '95.

You mention restored, so I don't know what's been done or not done, but here are things I found that needed attention on my '97 314-H.

Tie rod ends were loose at the spindles. Just needed to be tightened.

Foot rests were pretty rusty. Check the underside. When I repainted those, I also found that the side covers were starting to rust as well.

engine mounting bolts on the left side were loose.

Probably worth checking on yours.

It's a great machine - the last of it's lineage (300, 400 and 500 series that is.) They're not mentioned that much here because they're not old enough. I'm happy with the hydro and I'm certain that the -8 is every bit as good. (Just lacks the hydraulic lift. :D )