Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

300/400/500 Series Black?

chesbaycruiser

I'll begin with an apology, for starting yet another "what color" thread, but I've done a search and haven't found a lot about which black to use on the 300/400/500 series sheet metal.

On my 312 I have been using Valspar Resto Primer and IH Red. Is there also an appropriate Valspar Resto for the black? Based on what I'm seeing, I agree with the general conscensus that it is a semi-gloss finish.

At the risk of starting another "color war"....I would appreciate suggestions about appropriate rattle can options, and your personal experience (good or bad).

:D

Thanks,

Chris

Irv

I used Rustoleum professional semi gloss (rattle can) for the motor and the hood on my C 125 and liked it.

Duff

I've been using Rustoleum Gloss Black on my hoods, wheels and frames and am so far very pleased with the results. After a month or so to complete curing (probably don't need anywhere near that long, but Rusto does tend to harden up a little slowly) I follow up with a decent automotive paste wax.

Duff :D

Horse Fanatic

I use rustoleum satin black, I think it's closer to the original than semi-gloss (my 2 cents)

tgranthamfd

Kelly did an 80's black hood for his son that turned out very nice, too. I don't recall if he used rusto or Krylon but I think it was a semi gloss, don't quote me on that, though. Let us know what you decide.

Kelly

This was sprayed with a gun, it's valspar I belive they called it low gloss black, turned out nice to me, and after a few washings it shined up just a touch.

IMG_3711.jpg

mavfreak

i used a satin and think its pretty nice but i really don't know the differance between satin or semi gloss :D

Raider12

Hey Kelly, thats one super nice C-145 you have there! That one looks like a keeper. I agree your colors, looks fantastic. :D