Sign in to follow this  
Doubletrouble

Briggs exhaust threads damaged

Doubletrouble

The threads in the block are damaged pretty badly. I don't think a pipe will even screw into it. Doesanyone know the size it should be? Can I rethread this? Any advice will be appreciated.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--usually Briggs has also drilled and tapped two bolt holes on either side of the exhaust port. This was so they could put a flanged muffler on with a gasket if it worked out better than using the threaded port in whatever application they where working on. It will take a bit of research but you should be able to find a unit that will fit...

Heres one that may work but I'm not sure if it will clear the hood etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Briggs-10-11-Hp-Lawn-M...=item563c363c9b

Good Luck

Tony

Doubletrouble

Unfortuneatly, the 2 bolt holes for the flange install were filled with jb weld I think. I'd rather try and stay with the thread into block set- up if possible. I will keep that muffler you showed in the link in mind. I could re-drill and tap the threaded holes for the flange. I'm hoping there may be a way to re-tap the larger pipe threads. I'll have to check at a hardware store for a tap of some sort. I don't know the size yet though. Thanks for the reply.

The Toolman

Any good plumber will have a tap that will fit the muffler hole. It's probably a 3/4, 1, or 1 1/4 inch pipe thread size. Depending on engine size/hp

Doubletrouble

Toolman, the engine I'm working on is an 11hp briggs. I dont know what the original size was but I'm sure it's been wollard out a bit. I may have to tap it a little larger than stock and put a reducer on it.

VinsRJ

You will at minimum need to measure out the diameter of the exhaust port. Take multiple measurements and find out how much out of round the port is. From there your only bet is to locate a heli-coil to fit, providing you with the correct pipe thread you desire.

You might want to think about drilling out the JB and heli-coiling the flange bolt threads as Tony mentioned above.

Doubletrouble

Yes, I might end up doing that anyway. I'm just weighing my options right now. I'll Try to get after it this weekend and get something done with it.

rick

Mine is damaged in the same place, someone before me put one of those pipe lock nuts on the pipe, and used two allen screws to hold it tight. A Briggs exhaust gasket seems to seal it, I don't notice any leaks.

Doubletrouble

I took a look at it yesterday and there are some threads left in there. I may be able to get away with a larger diameter pipe. Not sure yet, gonna have to measure it and see what I can find.