Sign in to follow this  
fomocoguy

L-156 front wheel bushings

fomocoguy

So as I go down my laundry list of little things that are worn out on my Lawn Ranger I find myself a little stumped by the front wheels. The bushings are VERY worn, so I've been trying to track down a fix. At first I thought I'd just buy newer wheels with bearings, but I can't seem to find a 4 inch wheel with a 3/4" bearing bore and a 2.25" centered hub width. So, do any of you know where I might find some? If not, do any of you know where I might find replacement bushings for my wheels? If so I'll just paint my wheels. The local lawn and garden shop says they are discontinued...

oldandred

I have my old ones bored out to one inch and install a brass bushing ifin its too long I just cut it off

just make sure the axle isnt in bad shape also

fomocoguy

Thanks for the suggestion! My problem is that the bushings are worn on both the outer and inner surfaces. I guess they got so worn that they started to spin in the wheels and ended up wearing the outer surface too. They're pretty bad :D

The good news is the axles look fine.

rickv1957

I may have a set of new bushings if that will help,Rick

sorekiwi

You can replace the bushings with "normal" 3/4 x 1 3/8 ball bearings as found in the later tractors. They are a straight swap.

I've just seen my favorite supplier is out of stock ( :D ) so I wont give a link.

There is a lot of talk (argument?) about sealed vs unsealed and some part numbers in this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=wheel+bearings

fomocoguy

I may have a set of new bushings if that will help,Rick

I apprieciate it, but I'm thinking of going the bearing route since it seems to be a straight swap. Thanks anyways!

fomocoguy

You can replace the bushings with "normal" 3/4 x 1 3/8 ball bearings as found in the later tractors. They are a straight swap.

I've just seen my favorite supplier is out of stock ( :D ) so I wont give a link.

There is a lot of talk (argument?) about sealed vs unsealed and some part numbers in this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=wheel+bearings

Perfect! Thanks for the info; that helps a lot. I'll see if I can't pick up some bearings. :USA:

zach l

i may have a set of bushings. i know for a fact i have the spindles if you need them just let me know im sure we could figure something out

FarmerJim

If you have a Trac-Vac dealer in your area they use the same bushing in the wheels in their big 2 wheel cart models. I worked for a dealer at one time and we had :D guys come in and buy them quite frequently.

fomocoguy

Well, I went and bought some new wheel bearings. The problem is that the shoulder on the bushings is much thicker than the shoulder on the bearings, resulting in waay too much side to side wheel movement. For you guys who have switched to bearings, how did you slove this? Did you just use some type of washer to take up the slack, or would I be shunned for rigging it like that? I thought about hacking the shoulders off the bushings and using them as spacers (which I may still do). What do you all think?

Kelly

I buy a bag of 3/4" shims at TSC about 10 shims(washers) all different thickness's for about $3 I keep them on hand for all my tractors.

fomocoguy

I buy a bag of 3/4" shims at TSC about 10 shims(washers) all different thickness's for about $3 I keep them on hand for all my tractors.

Cool, I'll see if I can make my way out there to get some. Thanks!

littleredrider

Where did you get the bearings from?? Got a part number?? Need to do the fronts on mine, rather have bearings than bushings...

pfrederi

The bearings 3/4 x 1-3/8are very common. Used on most all later wheel horses C series and up for sure and by most other lawn tractor brands for teh front wheels...They are on ebay all the time, obviously you can get them at Toro (110513 -$10 Stens215043 $2 or 215079 $6. I have seen them at Lowe's and TSC.

I am using some cheap ones on my L-107. ( still have the original Tires Wheels and bushings in storage) She is my chore tractor and runs through rough fields. Even the cheapies have lasted for 2-3 years now. At the price difference I will die of old age before the Toro ones make economic sense.