Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

What the flip?

Raider12

I just tuned up the deck (nothing major) and reinstalled it back on the tractor and now the PTO belt wants to flip over and run on it's back side. It has done this before (years ago) and I replaced the belt and was good. But this belt is in great shape and was new last season. Anyone run in to this? If I correct the belt, as soon as I engage the the PTO it will flip and run on it's back again right away. :D

IMG_0247.jpg

CasualObserver

Try taking it back off, and actually flipping it over... maybe you put it back on in the reverse rotation that it's used to and it doesn't like it. :D

W9JAB

Belt flip is normally a problem with misalignment of the pulley or worn out pulleys.

W9JAB
belt.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Another mistake I have made a few times in the past is getting the belt between the top and bottom sheave of the deck spindle. It kinda works, but not for long!

PS: the other thing about these old-style decks is the fact they do not like to be run when the deck is in the UP position.

piecrazy4

My RL-426 doesn't have any problems in the up position what are the problems ?

rickv1957

Are all of the idler bearings good?,Rick

Raider12

Are all of the idler bearings good?,Rick

Yep. all the bearings are good and the pullies run nice and striaght and true. I think the problem is the belt it self. I put an old belt back on from years ago (kept for a spare) and it runs perfect. Can anyone tell me what size belt is "Supposed" to be used? I currently using a NAPA 4L690W

catman81056

Your pic looks like the right routing, is it flipped in the picture?

I think Jason is on to something, twisted belt.

I did away with the older style deck/pully system. Put a deck off a 1975 C100 on my 1267. Just had to add a front tach-matic, change right side tach-matic brkt, the newer mule drive, and a 102" belt.

Works fine.

catman81056

Parts tree has the belt for $17.04 part #9782, replaces #6737

Raider12

The photos show the belt in the correct position, but as soon as I ingage the pto, it will flip upside down. I took the belt off tonight and it was on correct. There must be something broken with in the belt it self. The belt I have on now is work just fine and it has a lot of wear. I 'll buy a new belt tomorrow and see if this corrects the problem.

It just doesn't make sense that it work just fine until I took the deck off? Go figure

WheelHorse_of_course

The photos show the belt in the correct position, but as soon as I ingage the pto, it will flip upside down. I took the belt off tonight and it was on correct. There must be something broken with in the belt it self. The belt I have on now is work just fine and it has a lot of wear. I 'll buy a new belt tomorrow and see if this corrects the problem.

It just doesn't make sense that it work just fine until I took the deck off? Go figure

I agree with the suggestion that perhaps the belt was flipped while it was off. Obviously it should not matter, but with a used belt I could imagine it wore/stretched in a particular way so that everything was no longer symmetrical.

Always good to have a new or used spare - well done!

:USA: :D