Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

HELP!!!!

sgtsampay

Hi all. I'm having some issues tring to get this stupid 520-H to charge it battery. We have tried everything and looked at the diragrams but got nowhere. We did however, find an area that we think is where the problem lies. Can anyone help us? Thanks.

100_3198.jpg

100_3197.jpg

100_3196.jpg

100_3195.jpg

100_3199.jpg

stevebo

There should be a blade type fuse under the cylinder near the starter selinoid. Check that first and if that is not it your may need a stator. I have an extra if you are interested you can pm me.

Fiddlestix

Oh my word! I thought mine was ...uh ...well, modified! SaveOldIron Chuck is going to have a Canary if he sees this! :D

stevebo

Chuck may not have enough colored arrows to do his tutorial... On another note you may want to find a wiring harness and swap that one out. Good luck-

Bill

:D

tgranthamfd

That is a lot of wires, Chuck should be on soon. I haven't heard anything from him in a couple of days, S.O.I. is everything ok?

Save Old Iron

Oh I think SOI just took too much of grampa's "special medicine" after the grandkids came over this weekend.

I'll be back in the morning !!

196283914_7fe4d9a605.jpg

Save Old Iron

Ok, a few cups of coffee later, we are good to go.

First I'm going to assume that you folks aren't playing a joke here - someone actually wired in fuse holders like this ??????

Since the color of the wiring changes 3 times in as many inches with the current setup, let's get some starting points established.

Locate the rectifier / regulator and take a picture of the wiring coming from that connector. This will allow us to get a visual clue as to where the Output charge wire goes when it leaves the rectifier / reg.

regrectifierconnections.jpg

If you have a multimeter, with tractor running at operational speed - measure AC volts between the two terminals labeled "1".

AC volts should be in excess of 25 - 28 VAC.

Measure DC volts from terminal label "2" to ground. DC volts out should be 13 - 15 V DC.

update us.

sgtsampay

Hi Guys. Thanks for the help so far. I'm in class right now, so this will have to wait until class is over. But, here is some more info I can give.

1. Yes this is a real bad wireing job that is on the 520-h but thanks God the tractor isn;t mind, it my nieghbor's.

2. I know where that little 3 connector part is and I can take a picture of it, for you guys.

3. Yep, when he got the tractor most of the wireing was cut, so he reconnected them and now he thinks he might of screwed it up.. (You guys couldn't tell, ehh? LOL)

4. Oh, yeah, the fuse is fine, we found that and checked it..

I will do what you guys say about the pictures and see what the meter says. I hope something can be figured out... Ugg, he is tring to get rid of the tractor, but the buyer won't buy it, until its fixed.. LOL.

Fiddlestix

I think we'll eventually need this. Might as well post it now! :D

520Helect-vi.jpg

W9JAB

:USA:

When wiring a bomb, you want to make your wiring as confusing

as possible so no one can figure out which wire to cut to disarm it,

tractors normally to not need disarming so feel free to sort that

mess out.

Jim_M

When wiring a bomb, you want to make your wiring as confusing

as possible so no one can figure out which wire to cut to disarm it,

tractors normally to not need disarming so feel free to sort that

mess out.

How did you figure that would help the guy?

W9JAB

Anyone who looks at a wire that has so

many splices in 12 inches of wire, and then

asks what could be the problem needs a

little ribbing.

oldandred

Anyone who looks at a wire that has so

many splices in 12 inches of wire, and then

asks what could be the problem needs a

little ribbing.

Or a little cutting and more tape

KC9KAS

Years and years ago, I would often times Jeri-Rig wiring, :D but after having to rewire all of my trailer lights while on a motorcycle trip and being 1000 miles from home, :USA: I ALWAYS do it right the 1st time! :wh:

NO wire nuts or tape for me! Solder & heat shrinking tubing with the proper size wire and fuses! :D

sgtsampay

Hi guys. I have some sad news. When I got home today, I went over to my neighbor's house to do what you guys said to do with the rectifier, but he had already brought the tractor to a local vocalational school where the teacher and a bunch of high schoolers will try to fix it. So, sorry guys but I guess this will be a dead end thread. I was really hoping to get it fixed with you guys, but o well. Again, sorry.

Michael Bullington

uh oh ,,,we might just hear from you again... :D

Save Old Iron

the teacher and a bunch of high schoolers will try to fix it

Let the young children lead the way to fixing the problem !!

Papa Supreme has taken special interest in this post - he has taken time away from polishing his moldboard to request an update when the problem is fixed - maybe some pics of the fix!

squirrelpope2.jpg

Raider12

Hi guys. I have some sad news. When I got home today, I went over to my neighbor's house to do what you guys said to do with the rectifier, but he had already brought the tractor to a local vocalational school where the teacher and a bunch of high schoolers will try to fix it. So, sorry guys but I guess this will be a dead end thread. I was really hoping to get it fixed with you guys, but o well. Again, sorry.

He'll be back!

I hate electrical tape and wire nuts. :D

W9JAB

the teacher and a bunch of high schoolers will try to fix it

I don't know how it was at your school, But at my High School auto shop

the slogan was "DRIVE EM IN & PUSH EM OUT!"

sgtsampay

LOL. You guys crack me up. Anyway, I hope that the kids are able to fix it, but if they can't, then I will let you guys know and we can continue figureing it out. Also, Saveoldiron, how do you get so many cool little pictures with squirrels? Do you have them as pets or what? LOL.

Save Old Iron

Do you have them as pets or what? LOL.

I wish I had that kind of patience and talent.

Check out this website.

Plenty of gift ideas for the kids and family.

http://www.sugarbushsquirrel.com/

KC9KAS

Hey, why don't you have the "kids" keep us posted on the forum. That way we can keep up on the tractor repair and also our text acronyms and misspelled words.

Save Old Iron

Hey, why don't you have the "kids" keep us posted on the forum.

Any good news yet ?

xubcadetsquirrel.jpg

wedgeheaded

My 520's the same way, it runs off the charging system but won't charge the battery. I figure there's a bad diode. Every 6-8 weeks I have to charge the battery back up. I never have time to fix it right but I always have time to recharge it. LOL