Sign in to follow this  
fomocoguy

New Wheel Horse owner from St. Louis

fomocoguy

Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a Wheel Horse L-156 Lawn Ranger and was told this was the place to be for Wheel Horse owners, so I thought I'd drop in and say hello! My beast only cost me $175 but it needs some tlc, so hopefully you all will have some patience with my lack of WH knowledge and throw some help my way now and then, as I will also help out when I can! Here she is:

100_6837.jpg

100_6838.jpg

It needs a whole lot of piddly stuff fixed, but the good is that the original 6hp Tecumseh has been rebuilt and it fires right off, it has new ag tires, plus it cuts good.

The bad (so far) is that it's got bolts where pins should be, pins where bolts should be (all of which are the wrong size), worn as heck front wheel bearings, a loose throttle cable, no seat upholstery, and a worn jackshaft bearing. I cut a bit with it yesterday for about 15 minutes and in that time the steering wheel fell off twice and the muffler came off three times :D She just needs some stuff fixed right and she will be good to go. Anyhow, glad to be here! Thanks!

Coadster32

:USA: Nice looking ranger you have there. Seems like you have the right attitude. :D You'll fit it quite nicely around here. Glad to have you on board.

KeithB

:D nice horse :USA:

VinsRJ

:D

Great people around here with a lot of good information. Welcome.

rmaynard

Glad to have you aboard. Lack of knowledge is not uncommon around here. However, a wealth of knowledge abounds. Ask enough questions and eventually you will find your answers. Hope we can be of help to you.

Very nice little Horse you got there.

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

:USA: Glad to have you!

Good looking LR :D

bowtieguy

Glad to see another LR in Missouri...I like those ag grips!!.....I've got 3 of these little tractors....fun little horses to drive and ALWAYS get lots of attention from the kids!!

I've got a snow blade that fits your tractor if you are interested!!!..816-806-9774

aka: bowtieguy (no fomoco here)

wh500special

St. Louis, eh? Great place. Booze, shoes, and blues!

I'm originally from that area and am moving back soon...but staying on the IL side since that's home.

Steve

Save Old Iron

Lack of knowledge is not uncommon around here. However, a wealth of knowledge abounds.

Ok Bob,

I think you have him sufficiently confused by now :D

The good news is it won't take too long to find solid examples of either one of those statements!!

horsefeathers

Lack of knowledge is not uncommon around here. However, a wealth of knowledge abounds.

Ok Bob,

I think you have him sufficiently confused by now :D

The good news is it won't take too long to find solid examples of either one of those statements!!

:USA:

Fomocoguy, luv those li'l red roundy hoods! looks good you'll get it toghther! You can do it! :wh: luvin' them aggiebars 'n that chrome exhaust stack :D HORSEFEATHERS!

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

fomocoguy

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome fellas! This sounds like a good site to be a part of. :D

dclarke

:D nice ranger you have. good luck with it.

buckeye

you got a good deal on that one. those rear tires are worth 70 to 100 bucks alone. :D

JimD

W9JAB
Matorhorse002-1-1.jpg

stevasaurus

:USA: ...from one of the lack of knowledge guys. This is a great site. :D

mavfreak

Lane Ranger

fomocoguy:

You have a great little Wheel Horse tractor! The 1966 Lawn Ranger will be something you can find parts for to upgrade and maintain. I have two 1967's and my brother has a 1965 6 HP Lawn Ranger.

TSC and Rural King have lots of parts and pieces that can assist in refurbishing.

Here is a link to some of my photbucket photos on the L-157's:

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/L...0Horse%20L-157/

I have a snow/dirt front blade, a 30 inch mower deck and a 32 inch snowthrower that I used a donzen times this winter (ST-324 Wheel Horse model number).

These are great little tractors . I am in the process of updating my front tires. I like those rear ags on yours a lot too!

That gear drive mower deck as two B1212 needle bearings in each spindle. There is a grease fitting on top the deck that needs to be greased regualrly. The deck can be rebuilt with new needle bearings. I like the way this deck mows better than my newer 1975 B-80 Wheel Horse does with a three blade 36 inch mower deck!

You are going to have some fun with this!

Red Square is a great place to learn more and share the joy, pain and sorrows of owning a great old piece of machinery!!

Roger from southern Iowa

Hi, :D Good looking machine.

Glad to have among us.

fomocoguy

fomocoguy:

You have a great little Wheel Horse tractor! The 1966 Lawn Ranger will be something you can find parts for to upgrade and maintain. I have two 1967's and my brother has a 1965 6 HP Lawn Ranger.

TSC and Rural King have lots of parts and pieces that can assist in refurbishing.

Here is a link to some of my photbucket photos on the L-157's:

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/L...0Horse%20L-157/

I have a snow/dirt front blade, a 30 inch mower deck and a 32 inch snowthrower that I used a donzen times this winter (ST-324 Wheel Horse model number).

These are great little tractors . I am in the process of updating my front tires. I like those rear ags on yours a lot too!

That gear drive mower deck as two B1212 needle bearings in each spindle. There is a grease fitting on top the deck that needs to be greased regualrly. The deck can be rebuilt with new needle bearings. I like the way this deck mows better than my newer 1975 B-80 Wheel Horse does with a three blade 36 inch mower deck!

You are going to have some fun with this!

Red Square is a great place to learn more and share the joy, pain and sorrows of owning a great old piece of machinery!!

Thanks for the tips! You've got some nice tractors for sure. So, let me ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind! How did you know mine is a 66 model? Was 66 the only year for the L-156? Does the last digit of the model number specify the year?

As for grease fittings I saw the ones for the needle bearings. What I'm a little concerned about is the shaft that engages the blades has a very worn bearing on the end where the belt goes on. I haven't even had the cover off yet, but when I pulled up on the belt I noticed that end of the shaft has what seems like a quarter inch of play in it. Any advice or ideas on where and if I can get a replacement? Thanks!