Sign in to follow this  
tranders

Raider 10 tranny

tranders

Tightend the brake band on the Raider and now she wants to grind when changing gears.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mavfreak

brake may be to tight. But I would check fluid to see if you have enough or that it didn't get water in it. also maybe the clutch isn't disengaging the belt well enough now that the brake was adjusted

W9JAB

With a manual transmission it's a balance between the clutch rod and the break to have enough throw to disengage the clutch and tight enough to set the break. I went through this when I put a smaller drive pulley on the trans. To solve the problem I put a few washers under the nut that is used to adjust the break this gave me more throw on the clutch rod.

tranders

This weekend I'm going to change the gear oil and try to adjust the the pedal for more throw.

Thanks for the help!

oldandred

Is the belt guard on if not it will or undo the adjustment you did

tranders

Yes, belt guard is on.

Thanks

tranders

Changed the gear oil and adjusted the clutch/brake rod with good results. Still wants to grind a little going into third,but all the other gears are fine.

stevasaurus

Just a thought Rob...when I first got into the horses, I was cleaning one up. I cleaned the drive pulleys and put some belt grip on the belt. Big mistake. You need the drive belt to be able to slip and only grab when the tension pulley is engaged. It created the same problems you are talking about. Used mineral spirits to clean all the grip off...worked great after that.....lessen learned. :D

Hope that helps.

Raider12

Good point Steve. I have ran into this same problem when first using a "new" drive belt as well. It has to wear in so to speak.

tranders

Food for thought.

Thanks so much for the ideas.

W9JAB

:D Also you need to run a smooth

belt not a cogged. :USA:

Don1977

If the gears are grinding, give the trans a few seconds from changing from one gear to the next. It works on mine.