Sign in to follow this  
pbuckler

Noob Question - Tiller Compatability?

pbuckler

I have been looking for a wheel horse with a tiller for a while and finally found one. I have never owned a Wheel Horse so I am pretty excited to pick a 312-8 with a 30" tiller and blade in a few days. But it doesn't have a deck.

But then I found a C-175 Twin Auto with a deck and would really like to use that tractor to till my garden. I am considering getting both tractors if I could swap the tiller and blade from the 312-8 to the C-175?

Here is a pic of the C-175 What do you think the C-175 is worth?

3mf3ob3l05T35U65X6a4pb75ed7d0ad801465.jpg

Thanks!

buckeye

yes you can make the swap, but you would be better off with the manual trans for tilling. it might be cheaper to buy a deck for the 312-8. why not just buy both and see which one you like best

pbuckler

yes you can make the swap, but you would be better off with the manual trans for tilling. it might be cheaper to buy a deck for the 312-8. why not just buy both and see which one you like best

Good call on the manual tranny. I wasn't sure if the extra hp and hydraulic lift would be beneficial when using a plow and/or the tiller.

buckeye

the 312-8 has plenty of power for tilling. hydro lift would be nice for lifting the tiller, but unless your a 95lb. girl, its not that bad. however the hydro tranny is very nice for mowing.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Fan

What year is the C-175? If it's the series II KT17 with the eaton it's probably worth getting provided it's a reasonable price. The 312-8 is probably bullet proof and could probably take a bit more abuse then the C-175. The hydro might be nice for mowing though. At least that is why I bought mine.

rickv1957

I would get them both! :omg: Rick

buckeye

I would get them both! :D Rick

I agree. I have both and wouldn't trade em' for nuttin' :omg:

pbuckler

I would get them both! :omg: Rick

I would really like to have both! But I don't really have the room to keep 2. If you could pick one of them which would you choose?

buckeye

I would really like to have both! But I don't really have the room to keep 2. If you could pick one of them which would you choose?

that's like asking me which one i have to sell. you have to ask yourself which one would be better suited to your needs. they are both capable of doing any task required. they both have pro's and con's. it's like trying to decide between chocolate or vanilla ice cream. :omg:

just wanted to add: condition of the two, should be a factor as well when choosing one.

Duff

I'm with Rick on this one but understand your situation. I think Bryan's advice is solid - go for the one that's in the best condition if you have to choose just one. As far as I know, parts are still available for both - I know 312-8 parts are plentiful both OEM and on the used market.

Duff :omg:

pbuckler

Since I will be primarily using this in the garden and not mowing it sounds like the 312 is the way to go. The c-175 caught my attention by having a few more horses under the hood and hydraulic lift. After reading the responses, it makes sense why it has the deck and the other doesn't.

Wheel Horse Fan

If I had to choose between the two it would be the 312-8. I like the manuals and you can't go wrong with the single kohlers.

ba2988

I till with my 314 hydro and love it. The hydro lets you really crawl at a slower speed than a geared tractor...there have been several other posts on the same topic. Thats just my $.02

mavfreak

:omg:

HankB

I till with my 314 hydro and love it. The hydro lets you really crawl at a slower speed than a geared tractor...there have been several other posts on the same topic. Thats just my $.02

I do too. It won't necessarily hold a steady speed on a slope or when the tiller blade grabs something, but it generally worked fine for me. And I do like the hydraulic lift.

DSC_1479-PP.JPG

If you plan to plow snow, the hydro is really nice for that too, both for the lift and the ability to quickly change direction and speed.

If you do go with the 312-8, take a good look at the underside of the foot rests. I'm repainting mine right now due to excessive rust. I've heard from other owners that they saw the same thing.

But really, try both and decide which you like better.

pbuckler

I would like to pull a plow with it too. Does anyone have experience with a plow behind a 314? I found a youtube video of a guy and his 314 pulling a plow then a tiller. He didn't seem to have any problems. But I have a rocky clay soil and I'm wondering how it will go with either a manual or hydro.

By the way Hank, that is a sweet looking ride!

Raider12

Shoot..... I had always told my wife that is a LAW that all Wheel Horse's are bought in pairs. :omg:

ba2988

I also have a brinly moldboard plow that I use for my garden. I will say that when plowing I wished that I had a gear tractor. You need to keep up a fairly brisk pace when plowing so that the soil is turned over and doesn't fall back into the furrow. I think this would have been easier with a geared tractor. That said I still vote for the hydro because I spend a lot more seat time on the tiller than the plow.

As for how it plows - I also have clay and rocky soil. I was very impressed with the plow...nothing could stop it, even a few basket ball size rocks. Funny thing is that a relatively small root can (even an inch or so in diameter) and will give you more trouble than the rocks will.

pbuckler

Great Info! ba2988, that is exactly what I was wondering. I am now even more excited to get this tractor. I have found a Brinley for $50 and a Craftsman for $80. The Brinley doesn't have the coulter but it is cheaper and much, much easier for me to pick up. Do you think I need the coulter? I tried to find the coulter kit sold by Brinley but I haven't had much luck.

ba2988

I have the coulter on mine - but had to put it all the way up in order for the plow to dig in...in my opinion its not probably not needed.

pbuckler

I have the coulter on mine - but had to put it all the way up in order for the plow to dig in...in my opinion its not probably not needed.

Thats kind of what I figured.