Sign in to follow this  
woodwardspecialties

Governor trouble on 1997 416-8

woodwardspecialties

At the end of last season my 1997 416-8 Began running rough (surging). To be honest, i parked it for the winter, and forgot about it.

This year, i pulled it out of the shed, filled it up with fresh gas, changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs (champion), and all oils, and blades. Went to use it, and still surging.

I have played with it a little to see what i could find. At full throttle it seems ok, but maybe a bit down on power from what i remember. Anything below wide open, it surges. It goes from hi rev way down to near stalling, then back up again consistently.

I opened the hood to see what i could find. On the left side of the engine the lever coming up from behind the fan/flywheel is moving back and forth. From what i have found this is part of the governor. If i hold it steady, the RPMs will smooth out, but if i let go it will go right back to surging. I dis connected the push rod that goes to the carb to see what it would do, but it allows the butterfly in the carb to close, and it wont run. It is hooked up again, still surging.

I have attached a picture of the lever that is moving back and forth, which appears to be causing the surging.

Any ideas on where to go next would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

DSC01761.jpg

Duff

First, :D ! Glad to have you among us!

I would quicker think your surging problem may be coming from a dirty carb more than the governor being out of adjustment. It might be worth your time to take the carb off and give it a complete cleaning - not really that difficult a job.

Others may have a better diagnosis and should be along shortly!

Duff :omg:

woodwardspecialties

Any other input?? Need to know what to check before i go diving into it.

Thanks

Confused99

I will agree that it is most likely a dirty carb.

Jason

woodwardspecialties

Sorry for sounding silly, but im not familiar with these engines myself.

What would make the governor go back and forth?? Im not understanding how a dirty carb would cause this.

I would just like to understand my issue before i go pulling the carb apart.

as for the carb, do i need to get any replacement gaskets.... or any other parts to pull it apart... or just take it apart and clean everything out, and reassemble?

TT

Long story short, the governor works off of engine RPM and what you are seeing is a reaction to the intermittent starvation of fuel caused by partially clogged passages within the carburetor.

W9JAB

Looking at your photo I see the spring loaded with debris

the governor is very sensitive so clean that up and look

for any other springs that may have come off!

DoctorHfuhruhurr

In addition to the carb cleaning I would also suggest you drain any old fuel left over in the tank from last year (and purge the fuel line too).

W9JAB

A binding in the bearings of the governor shaft, in the ball joint or in the carburetor throttle assembly will cause erratic governor action or alternate increase or decrease in speed hunting. A lean carburetor adjustment may also cause hunting. Springs have a tendency to lose their calibrated tension through fatigue after long usage. If all governor and carburetor adjustments are properly made and the governor action is still erratic, replacing the spring with a new one and resetting the adjustments will usually correct the problem.

woodwardspecialties

Thanks for the possible explanations of why it was acting the way that it was. After having an understanding of the way it works, i was comfortable in pulling the carb. It did have some dirt in there. Cleaned it out, and now it is running like new.

Thanks again!