Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

New here. Just got a 66' 856. (pics added)

hoppy

I just found this site and am glad i did. I received a 66' 856 and along with it the mower deck, tilt trailer, snow blower, plow & frame setup, wheel weights, and chains.

just about everything i need i guess. anyway.....this machine hasnt been run in nobody knows how long. it was a guys that passed away about ten years ago. he had a trailer full of stuff packed away and this was in it. its in good shape except for the seat. mice got to alot of stuff in the trailer including the seat. other then that she should clean up pretty nice. motor is free so thats a good sign.

can anyone tell me alittle about these machines? where can i obtain and owners manual for it and manuals on hooking up the attachments? like the blower and plow?

they are both wheel horse attachments. thanks for your help and im sure ill be back with more questions. going to see if she will fire up in the morning.

buckeye

Welcome. You can find manuals on ebay. Just ask some questions, someone will more than likely help.

tommy3horse

Hello and :omg:

Tom

:D

horsefeathers

Hoppy, Sounds like you found a great tractor there w/ lots o' good add ons! :omg::D HORSEFEATHERS!

Horse'n Around

Congratulations on your find and welcome to the forum. Oh and its kind of an unwritten rule that you need to post pictures of your tractor as soon as possible. We need our fix :omg:

John (stuck in Arizona.....for now)

qd-16

If your 856 has the original seat, hang on to it! That style of seat pan is somewhat difficult to come by. I've had two of my seats recovered before and they have turned out nice.

:omg:

bitten

Hello and :omg:

Try the yahoo wheel horse groups for the manuals or My Wheel Horse( just looked here and they site is down for some reason).

Good Luck with it

P.J.

dclarke

:omg: good luck with your 856

mavfreak

HankB

Try the yahoo wheel horse groups for the manuals

Let me add to that a bit. The URL for the Yahoo site is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/ and there are actually a bunch of groups. This has been set up (I think) mostly by a couple of guys who have an incredible collection of manuals. One of them is Garry who is always answering questions about how to find manuals. You can search for "wheelhorsetractormanuals*" to see all of the groups, but the one listed above is the main one and the database contains a list of where manuals are in the other groups.

I'm headed that way now to search for manuals for a new to me Electro 12.

Another great Toro resource is https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...es&xCaller=Toro. You can enter the "Product Name" and get the model #. In your case, they're both 856. For the Electro 12, the model numbers are 1-7235, 1-7245 or 1-7245. You can also enter terms like "36" tiller" and get a list of tillers that fit these tractors. You need the correct model # for all of the other Toro search pages like the one listed above.

:omg: and :D

Good luck with your new equipment. Sounds like quite a find!

rickv1957

Hello and :omg: Rick

hoppy

Thanks everyone! i have some pictures i will download later and post up for you guys.

i went out to the shop early to see if she would run and here is what i found..........

tank was thankfully mostly empty but there was abit of goo on the bottom. so i took the tank off and gave that a good cleaning. checked for spark and the machine is putting out great spark on the plug that was in it. cool! i then gave it a squirt of stating fluid and she fired right up. my issue right now is i have gas getting to the carb but it it so clogged up gas isnt getting into the crab. took the carb off but then realized i didnt have any cleaner. just got back from the store with some so im heading out now to give it a good clean and see if i can get it to move some fuel for me. hopefully after a good carb cleaning shell run. i will keep you posted! thanks for the welcome!

Retired Wrencher

:omg: :D:D:D Hoppy sent u an E-Mail

markslawnmowerworld

good luck with your new 856.

hoppy

well....................shes alive!!!! :D really didnt take much at all. new battery, cleaned the tank, and cleaned the carb and fuel pump and she is a running and running strong! :D the carb was all sorts of gunked up but i have to tell you probably one of the easiest carbs to clean there is. the bowl, float, needles, etc. took all of about 1/2 hour to have the thing cleaned and back on the machine and it purring like a kitten again. after..........................nobody really knows but she was in that trailer for atliest the last ten to twelve is our best guess. the guy whom owned it passed away about 10 to 12 years ago. what a great little tractor. starts easy, idles nice, goes pretty well in 3rd and full throttle. will make the perfect little work machine for me around the farm. i even gave her the first work out after all these years. hooked on the trailer and picked up a few piles of crap i had left over from tilling the garden. took her out to the manure pile to dump her and she purred the entire time. the dump trailer is key! made it alot easier to unload. i filled her with some very fresh gas and abit of seafoam to keep things clean. this week i will do the oil as i have no idea when the last time it was changed was. all the tires are holding air. i was worried because they were all flat and had formed flat spots where they had sat but they filled up nicely and have no issues. have a minor oil leak from the valve cover but not to bad.i did replace the fuel lines also and i will add an inline filter once i grab one. i also greased up every fitting i could find. a good cleaning is all she really needs now. what else can i say besides i am very happy that this was an easy runner. i did not want to have to deal with tearing down a motor. without further ado here are some pictures for you.

DSC00740.jpg

1st load in a long time! stopped in the shop for the picture

DSC00741.jpg

attachments........blower, roller(not wheelhorse and broken), plow and frame that is wheelhorse original.

DSC00743.jpg

blower in good shape

DSC00744.jpg

and the needle in the haystack.............found this in a box amongst paper clipings, magazines, etc. bottom box on a pallet. glad i went through the boxes. in it and all original are the kohler owners manual and parts breakdown and one year warranty. the owners manual for the tractor, wagon, and mower deck. :omg:

DSC00753.jpg

hope you guys like the pictures. i will get some action shots of her in work. i have not tried to fire up the mower deck yet. one thing at a time. im happy to be the new owner of this old 856!

Duff

Wow! Nice machine! With time and some cleaning, she'll be a real beauty. Glad to hear she's a good runner and worker already!

Duff :omg: :D

hoppy

the seat is hammered. there wasnt a box or anything for that matter in the trailer mice didnt get into. they got into everything. an im assuming they did the seat. ohwell........ill figure something out that will be overly comfortable! :omg:

what would this machine be worth(approx) now that it is running and considering it has a few attachments. i know guys collect them so im curious what the market is like on these. i have a 69' Allis Chalmers B-112 also.

sorekiwi

Nice looking tractor!

qd-16

Hoppy, nice 856, they are real workers for only being 8 horse!

New seat covers can be made, you just have to find somebody that does that sort of thing. Here's a pic of two seat covers I had made last year..had about $35 a piece in them.

whorse8-18-09005.jpg

VinsRJ

Very nice, look forward to seeing you around here.