Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

8-Speed Transmission Gasket

rmaynard

My B-100 got a workout plowing snow this winter, so I drained the transmission oil and flushed it with kerosene. After draining the oil/kerosene mixture, I notice that a small amount of kerosene is seeping out around the bolts and the gasket at the bottom. Should I replace the gasket or is it normal to have such a lightweight material leak? There was nothing leaking before flushing. The transmission has never been cracked open before.

Bob

rmaynard

Well, I decided to just fill the transmission with oil and move on to the next project. So far, no leaks. :D

I have a B-80 transmission that I decided to crack open, take a look at the inside, and replace seals. :D For the first time doing this, it was a bit scary, but not all that bad. I found that the inside of the case had some rust, but it was near the top, so I'm assuming that is normal and caused by condensation. I found only the slightest hint of metal in the bottom, indicating that the previous owner was pretty good about shifting. It was remarkably clean. I flushed it one time with kerosene before opening.

588d7bb5.jpg

The only thing that distressed me upon initial inspection was the 1533 ($70.00 each) bearings. They looked as though they had picked up a little rust from the condensation. :D They did not run perfectly smooth, but there was no play or slop. I sprayed them with some WD-40 and allowed them to soak a while.

Now for the fun. When I removed the shifting forks, I only found one ball. I had a spring, a rod, and only one 1/4" ball. So I figured that it must have shot out like a gun when I wasn't looking. Spent the better part of the afternoon looking all over the garage floor. :omg:

Came in the house, got on the computer and looked up Stevasaurus' post on rebuilding a tranny, only to confirm that I did indeed need to find that other ball.

Anyway, long story short, I found it. It had shot back into the hole where the plug cap is and I found it when I punched the cap out. :D

The 1533 bearings smoothed out nicely with the WD-40 bath, so I replaced the four seals and put everything back together.

Seems to be fine. All the gears work. Will only know how well when it gets attached to the tractor I am building. :D

Bob

stevasaurus

Bob...thanks for the plug...tickles me that I have helped another member. :D Your trans looks great and the picture is exactly what I needed to see. I wasn't positive about the bevel on the reverse gear being up or down. I put mine together with the bevel up on it shifts OK...but still wasn't sure. Your picture confirms the up with the bevel and I guessed right.......a big thank you also. :D

Anyway, I was in an ACE Hardware by me the other day. I needed some 5/16" bearings for a pneumatic tool I have, and to my surprise, they carry different sizes of ball bearings at the store. I did not need to by a gross of them either, I just bought the 4 I needed. :D about 30 cents apiece...so anybody reading this...fear no evil as you walk through the shadow of the valley of taking apart a transmission...there is an ACE Hardware near you with the parts you need. :omg:

rmaynard

Thanks for posting your rebuild. I was thinking, "maybe mine only had one ball" but I knew it had two. Your description and the parts blow-up at SEPW confirmed it. I really should have replaced the 1533 bearings, but not at $60.00 each. I figure that those axles aren't turning fast enough to worry about heat, and as long as they don't get sloppy, the oil seals will be okay. I didn't have any leaking before replacing, only at the brake shaft.

I have never done a transmission before, now I am no longer hesitant.

Bob

stevasaurus

:omg: :D

rickv1957

Bob,by the looks of your tranny,it has had a good life!, :omg: Rick

rmaynard

Bob,by the looks of your tranny,it has had a good life!, :omg: Rick

That's what I think too Rick. Other than a little rust and a few tiny metal fragments in the bottom, it looks like it was well taken care of.

Now that I have got the hang of it, I'm going to tear open another one as soon as I get them danged hubs off.

Bob

pfrederi

Bob,by the looks of

Now that I have got the hang of it, I'm going to tear open another one as soon as I get them danged hubs off.

Bob

The hubs (and sometimes the draw bar pin) are the worst parts of any tranny work....

rmaynard

Took me a whole weekend to get the hubs off this tranny, now I am working on the the other one. I have one hub 1/2 the way off and broke my puller. Got to make another one. I'm in no hurry, and that's good because the hub is in no hurry to come off.

Never had a problem with the hitch pins.

Bob

Duff

Never had a problem with the hitch pins.

Oh - you are SO lucky!!!! :omg:

Duff :D

rmaynard

I'd rather be lucky with the hubs. :omg:

Bob

rmaynard

The hubs are off. One in one piece :omg: the other in 10 pieces 5496bcd5.gif. The flange broke while using a rented hub puller (I kept breaking bolts on my homemade puller). So I had to finish it off with a sawz-all and a chisel. No big deal, I should be able to find a good 1-1/8" hub.

I think I'll take a break from this hub pulling and go to work.

Bob

stevasaurus

and the score is.....Bob 3 --- Hubs 1 :D

rmaynard

and the score is.....Bob 3 --- Hubs 1 :USA:

:wh: That's good.

I'm keeping all the little pieces as a reminder that a small piece of cast iron and a little rust defeated a large man.

:D

Bob

rickv1957

Bob,your going to be a pro at hub removel!! :D Rick