Sign in to follow this  
firemart

Rust?

firemart

How much rust does it take to pass on an old tractor?

rmaynard

I don't think any amount of rust would be a cause to pass on a Wheel Horse. There is always something usable on them all.

Bob

mavfreak

pice should drop if its just a parts tractor

Kelly

Too much is just before it becomes dirt again, and no tractor left, I've dragged some ome that were very rust just to pull a few parts off, that is what I was doing lastnight stripping tractors and making a load of junk while prices are up.

Kelly

I guess it depends on what your working on, rusty deck, I've seen some pretty big patches on some, hood or fender if it's a common tractor like a C or 300 with holes just find another part lots of the C's and newer to be had, if your talking a RJ hood well they are getting harder to get so you may have to patch more.

jpmcleod

Firemart. I have bought tractors that look like yours and took my time and restored or refurbushed them. Don't get in a hurry. I would pay the price you paid for that tractor because they are not plentiful diown here. As has been said, give it a good cleaning. Remove all the sheet metal and clean the frame and engine and you will be surprised how good it may look. It appears by all the questions you are asking you are uncertain about the value of it compared to the expense of bringing it back to life. There are a lot of great folks on this site that can help you find replacement parts at a reasonable pricde. Tires and wheels are nothing compared to some parts. Tractor supply sells tires at a reasonable price and can be mounted by yourself. Unless the rim bead has bad rust and wan't seal, they can be salvaged. I think your tractor is restorable if you are willing to spend the time and money. Good luck with your adventure.

rickv1957

To much rust depends on item value,Rick

firemart

I may have answered my own question. I don't know if I am ready to fight this thing or sink money into it.

blaster

Don't put so much pressure on yourself! Find something to mow with for awhile and work on your Wheel Horse at your own pace as time and money allow. :D When you're done you'll have something to be proud of that will last a lifetime!! There's alot of good people on this site who will help you all they can. :omg: Glenn

sorekiwi

As an example, I started with this:

IMG_1822-1.jpg

and about a year later ended up with this:

IMG_1961.jpg

The "before" picture is pretty accurate to the condition of the tractor, the "after" picture does flatter it a little bit.

On the other hand probably my most used tractor is a B80 which is close in condition to your C120. I keep thinking that I should really give it a birthday sometime, but I bet I never will :omg: