Sign in to follow this  
dodge78

cleaning the inside

dodge78

My tranny had some water in it, changed the fluid and there is still some gunk in it. Is there something I can put in it, like some dextron, to help get some of he stuff out of it?

tgranthamfd

Flush, flush, flush. You can flush with oil or an oil diesel/ kerosene 50/50 mix. May have to do it a couple of times to get all of the water out. I drained, filled, drove, drained, and filled mine 4 times to get all of the water out, with straight oil. On my brother's, we did a 50/50 mix of oil and diesel and it got rid of the water with 2 or 3 changes. I assume we are talking about a manual tranny?

dodge78

Yes, manual tranny.

Duff

Don't know your situation, but this could be a good time to take the tranny out and split it. Water can mess up bearings, and it would be the very best way to make sure all the gunk is gone. :D It's a job, but not that bad........

Duff :omg:

Kelly

When your done flushing it, make sure to put a new shifter boot on it to help keep water out.

dodge78

In neutral, with the clutch out, it does make a noise like a bearing is working its way toward going out. So tearing into the tranny is on the to do list. I don't have anything big planned for the tractor this summer other than moving it out of the garage to make room to work. I have an old Sears air compressor to finish and need to put a turbo engine in the Omni which will give me more room in the garage.

A new boot is already on. It was one of the things in the first bunch of stuff I got when I started working on the tractor.

stevasaurus

After tearing apart my trans, and seeing what water can do. I would tear the trans apart every time now to clean and inspect it. A $5.00 gasket compared to the damage that is possible if you don't clean it. Too easy to do it right...not to mention piece of mid. :omg:

dodge78

I got the compressor done. The PO told me it worked just fine but the tank leaked. I found a tank for $30 then proceeded to paint and fit the compressor on the tank and started it up. The driven pulley wobbed pretty bad. The shaft was .030 out, so I nudged it to with in .005. Then the regulator leaked when the pressure got around 90 psi. I found a new one for $15. Then about $20 for the ball valve and fittings, it is done. This is what I started with:

th_HPIM0460.jpg

here is how it ended up:

th_HPIM0701.jpg

th_HPIM0702.jpg

stevasaurus

Your compressor looks great. I like the copper and green colors. :omg:

rickv1957

Nice compressor! :omg: Rick

dodge78

I could not find any chinese green ( like the tank), so I went with something different so I would not have worry about different shades of green. I sold it to my brother. I told him I would be happy with $50 so he gave me $75.