Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Kohler K90 blue/green paint help

stevebo

Guys,

I screwed up tonight as I pulled my replacement k90 motor out of my 56 rj. I cleaned it by spraying brake cleaner on it and of course it peeled some of the paint before I could wash it down. The good news is the tins are unharmed as i had them off. I would like to keep this motor it's original color which is the Kohler blueish green (but I am color blind). Does anyone know what is a match or veyr close in a spray can? I just need to to do the engine block not the tins. Thanks-

Kelly

I'll think of it after I leave for work but I believe there is a engine paint that is close, I can't remember what one brand of car, old pontiac blue sticks in my mind.

Ken B

Did you run that motor yet Steve? I'll know you'll run it BEFORE you paint it. :omg:

stevebo

Ken,

I did get it running and it sounded good with no smoke. The recoil is going to Joe to get reworked with new cable and whatever else it needs. :omg:

VinsRJ

Got to love brake-clean, tears threw everything!

I agree with Kelly, check out the local auto parts place...... Pontiac dark blue(?) rings a bell. I prefer Dupli-Color engine paints. You can age the paint with a little brake-clean on a rag. By gently rubbing the fresh paint (After full 48 hours of dry time) you will cut the sheen down to a more aged look.

stevebo

Thanks Vince. I was thinking that pontiac 389ci blue/green. Good call on "aging" it too. Boy was I pissed when i did it :omg: This little tractor cleaned up nice and will be staying original !!

Ken B

Is this the motor I put the coil in and cleaned the carb on? If so, I have some Pontiac blue paint at my house that I will never use. :omg:

stevebo

That is the one. I will stop at the parts store to see what they have if nothing I will let you know. Thanks Ken-

ps is it in a spray can or quart?

Ken B

Its Duplicolor engine paint in a spray can. I'll have to check to see if its Pontiac light or darker blue. I don't remember.

stevebo

Ken,

i found a very very close match. The color is spruce metalic by duplicolor. It is all painted up drying right now. I will post a few pics later. By no means is this a prestine job as it is going on an unrestored 56 RJ35 so I do not want it to stand out too much although the color is blue green on a red tractor :omg: I really like the look of the replacement kohler engine color. I first saw it on Firman's 58 RJ and liked it a lot. His motor was nos :D

stevebo

Here is the pic of the motor paiinted. for some reason the double pulley with the reverse disk and variable speed pulley were reversed with the reverse disk on the outside so I need to turn it around on the crank shaft. I will do that when someone returns my pulley puller :omg: The recoil is in the mail to get reworked so when it comes back it will get painted and put back on. The exhaust was very thin so it broke off. it is in the etank now getting cleaned up. Next step once the paint dries is to get the old broken off part of the threaded exhaust elbow removed and put a new one on. I hope I can get it out without having to tap it.

paintedmotor.jpg

jimbotelho

steve if I remember I believe that the 60/70 pontiacs did have blue motors I think they were the old 389/421 cubic in motors

VinsRJ

You are correct but the Pontiac blue in the 60's was more of a baby blue than a dark blue.

Look'n good Steve...... :omg:

andrew_

@stevebo - apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I was hoping you might be able to follow up and let us know how that paint ultimately held up to the heat of the engine. I'm rebuilding a K241 at the moment and was thrilled to find that close color match, but I'm wondering how the PerfectMatch product holds up to the heat. Thanks!