Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Houston, all systems go!

T-Mo

Since it was a nice day here in sunny Missouri and with temps in the low 30's, I decided to start work on the C141.

First up, put the engine together. It went together pretty easy. Got her timed, valves set. Change out the engine mounts. Mounted the engine onto the mount plate. Onto the tractor she goes.

A little caution for those who have this type of engine mount plate, be sure you put the back bolts through the engine mounts before you mount the engine to the plate. Also, another note, leave the engine mounts a little loose to be sure you get all 4 bolts lined up. One more reminder, leave the flywheel shroud off before putting in the mount bolts (you won't have room with it in place).

Got everything together, mounted, hooked up, attached, you name it. Hit the key, crank, crank, crank, nothing. No spark. Hmmm, did some checking and found that there is no juice to the coil. Ran another wire straight from the battery to the coil and found the starter is sticking a little. A little persuasion and it's engaging again. Try it again and battery is low. But a battery booster on it and try again. Houston, we have ignition. :thumbs:

Unhook the wire from the coil again and try the old wire, still nothing. Hook the other wire again and she fires up again. Had to do some adjustments on the choke and throttle cable, but it sounds good.

Next turn the tow valve back in and after a few choice words on this design, the valve is closed. Fire her up again and began to drive it a little around. At high rpms there is no noticeable difference in vibration. At low idle, there is a little more "bounce", but I don't think it's bad at all.

I still need to figure out why the wire to the coil has no electric to it, but it runs good. Either I do a rewire for it or maybe a toggle switch on the dash. I think eventually the wiring needs to be redone, and I'm not just talking about the coil wire, but all wiring. The starter seems to be engaging now every time, but I need to watch that. It also needs a need battery, but for right now I'm pleased.

Bottom line, rebuild successful and she lives again. All systems a go.! :thumbs:

Sparky

Thats great Terry. So now you can get back to sno-plowin :thumbs: .

Mike.......

nylyon

Glad you were able to get it all together today and that the vibration isn't all that bad. All in all it sounds like a good day for ya.

TT

That's :D , Terry! :thumbs:

I knew it wouldn't shake itself off the frame ! :D

Check the plug at the ignition switch -- wiggle it around some -- maybe you can get ignition power restored. :thumbs:

If not, maybe you could just splice in to the wire at the ignition switch plug with your jumper wire for now. :P

T-Mo

Thats great Terry. So now you can get back to sno-plowin :thumbs: .

Mike.......

Mike,

Since I got my "snow insurance" back running again, we probably won't see snow again this winter. :thumbs:

Kelly

Glad to hear all is well :thumbs: I was going to say double check your pto to make sure it is all the way back, But it sounds like it is cranking just no spark. so that's out. anyway with a little care you should have years of use, in your tractor.

Rollerman

Terry good to hear everythings back together.

When you get it broke in make sure to let us no if there is any differance in power. :thumbs:

kj4kicks

WTG Terry ! Glad you got it together !

kpinnc

That's great Terry! Glad she's all back together now.

Kevin

Stigian

The old girl lives to plow another day :thumbs:

Nice work sorting the engine Terry, glad your not getting shaken out the seat :thumbs:

T-Mo

If not, maybe you could just splice in to the wire at the ignition switch plug with your jumper wire for now.

Play with it some more today. Messed with the wire from the switch to the coil some more. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. It started then, but died. After some more trial and error, it was decided the wire was bad. Did as TT suggested and splice in a wire at the switch, ran it to the coil, and now it starts and runs with the switch. :thumbs: Thanks for that suggestion, TT. So I pulled the old wire and just ran a new one. It's working fine now.

But, the starter is still acting up, but seems to be getting better. Maybe a little WD-40 might solve that sticking problem. As I was starting it more, that problem has become less noticeable.

Now I have it on a charger to charge the battery up and I'm done for the day. Another good day here in Missouri! :thumbs:

TT

That's what we like to hear! (I don't like all those "extra" toggle switches -- unless they're for Nitrous ! :thumbs: )

Try a little powdered graphite on that starter drive, Terry. (spray it good with carb or brake cleaner first so it's clean and dry)

T-Mo

Thanks for that suggestion, TT. I'll try that someday. I'll need to get the graphite. Also I probably want to do this with the starter is off the tractor (though that's not a big job).

I don't like toggle switches all over the place myself. :thumbs:

TT

You might just find that you need full battery "oomph" to get it to kick in correctly. :thumbs:

Do you have any snow left to plow ?

T-Mo

Nope, no snow and none in the forecast. I guess my "snow insurance" is working again. :thumbs: