Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

swaping out a 4 for an 8

mavfreak

I have a commando 800. I wanted to swap out the 4 speed for an 8 speed.

The 4 speed had an issue. Itwould seam that it would just slip out of reverse under load. but it worked and I just kinda delt with it. It never made any noises it just wouldn't go. I thought maybe it was the shifter cause it hit the sheet metal on the tractor so I just thought it wasn't fully ingaged.

Well I got the 8 speed trans and I strated the project of putting it in the tractor. I removed the 4 put in the 8. Now I needed to swap out the hubs. I loosend them and I went to the left side frist. With a couple of light taps it pulled right off. Great! so i went to the other side grabed it and fell on my ass as the whole axle pulled out. I would be my guess that this could be why I had a revesre problem.

I really wanted to sell this 4 speed. but now its busted. Are the parts worth anything? I haven't pilled it apart yet to see what kinda damage is inside it. Do these 4 speeds brake like this? It looked like someone repared this before. Do i need to worry about the 8 speed doing this also?

Pictures of the swap are to come!

Duff

Heath, is there any obvious damage to the axle you pulled out? I don't have any experience with the 4 speed trannys, but the axles on the 8's are held in by a circlip (which I affectionately call a "Jeezus clip" because they're spring loaded and when you pop 'em off they can go flying, leaving you to mutter, "Aw, Jeezus!"). If the axle has just popped a clip, then repair isn't that big of a deal although it will mean spiltting the tranny case.

Just a thought...... :party:

Duff B)

mavfreak

The axle is all chewed up and the clip grove is bad. I don.t know if it would hold a clip.

Duff

The axle is all chewed up and the clip grove is bad. I don.t know if it would hold a clip.

That, as they would say in Oz, is a horse of a different color. :clap:

If the axle is all chewed up Lord knows what the rest of the stuff inside looks like. I'd prefer to have the experts chime in here, but my gut is telling me to scrap it unless you have the time/resources/inclination to tinker with it. :party:

Our young member Charlie (CharliesD250) has a lot of experience in tranny rebuilds - I hope he sees this thread.

Duff B)

mavfreak

I'm not going to rebuil the 4 speed but I am going to take a peek inside. I was really shocked that it was broke but still somewhat working. I just hope the 8 speed is stronger than the 4

Duff

Heath, the 8-speed is a good, strong tranny, especially the ones with the 1-1/8" axles. You're probably already aware of this, but just in case: Be CERTAIN when you are shifting ranges that the tractor is stopped, in neutral, and that everything has stopped spinning before moving the range selector. The shift fork for the range selector is the weakest part of the 8-speed design and bends easily. Once bent, you are generally "stuck" in one range until you split the tranny and replace the fork. Not a big job in itself, but a PITA to have to pull the tranny out of the tractor to work on it!

Good luck!

Duff B)

pfrederi

The 8 speeds still use the snap ring. I actually like the older 3 speeds with the roll pin to hold the axle in.

rickv1957

The 8 speed will work well,would save the 4 speed for future parts,Rick

mavfreak

are the parts interchangeable?

Kelly

Did you get a 8 speed with 1" axles? your tractor has 1" axles and if you picked up a 8 speed with 1 1/8" axles your hubs will not fit, but you might have a machine shop bore them and broach a new key way.

By the way the 3 speeds unless in very good shape are not worth much unless you need one, so parts is about all you have, tear it apart to see how it works use it as a learning tool.

mavfreak

I got one with 1" axles.

KeithB

as a puller the only transmissions worth anything to me are the 8 speed, 8 pinion 1 1/8" axles B)

hodge

as a puller the only transmissions worth anything to me are the 8 speed, 8 pinion 1 1/8" axles B)

But, in everyday applications, I am not the least bit scared of 1" axles. There are too many of them still going.

KeithB

as a puller the only transmissions worth anything to me are the 8 speed, 8 pinion 1 1/8" axles :party:

But, in everyday applications, I am not the least bit scared of 1" axles. There are too many of them still going.

no doubt B)

mavfreak

Well then I'll just run this till it breaks and find a 1 1/8" one then. And I see that it will happen if the 4 crapped out on me. but then I'm not pulling either

KeithB

Well then I'll just run this till it breaks and find a 1 1/8" one then. And I see that it will happen if the 4 crapped out on me. but then I'm not pulling either

like hodge says, for everyday application they are fine

mavfreak

I'm learning That some wheel horses aren't as strong as I thought. of corse I just have a commando and ther just an entry level tractor that really aren't any better than lawn mower. But I'm trying to make it better. I should've just saved my money and bought a bigger better tractor. I do use it to do more than It should be doing. And the more I think about it I think I broke the trans and it wasn't like that when I got it. Like you said run it till it craps out which seams to be less than a year for me. Then maybe i'll find something else